Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this OK?

• Please log in to reply

D2k

D2k

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
May seem like a silly question but ive had my Dell Dimension 3100 PC for over a year now. Its on for over 12 hours a day.. should I be concerened, is it OK for it to be on for this amount of time. Of course I turn it off when going to sleep or work.

Its on everyday, basically because it needs to be. I need to update my site as much as possible.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi D2k!

I never turn my computer off. It's on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I reboot the computer once a week just to keep things fresh, but other then that it is constantly on. Leaving your computer on won't hurt anything.

Fenor

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The only thing I would like to add here, based on your post about your system needing to be on, is to make sure you have your system plugged into a good UPS (uninterupted power supply) just in case of brownouts or power failures.

Could save alot of grief down the road.

Murray

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi ... I'm curious why would you want to keep your computer running if you are not using it ? I mean if you know you wouldn't be using it for a few hours , Then why keep it going ? Also if you do , Don't you think that your fans including the CPU will clog up faster if your comp is always running ? And I am not sure how much power a computer uses's but why waste energy for nothing ? But mainly what would be the harm to turn it off ?

Thanks

Edited by snooker, 07 June 2007 - 01:14 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Hi ... I'm curious why would you want to keep your computer running if you are not using it ? I mean if you know you wouldn't be using it for a few hours , Then why keep it going ? Also if you do , Don't you think that your fans including the CPU will clog up faster if your comp is always running ? And I am not sure how much power a computer uses's but why waste energy for nothing ? But mainly what would be the harm to turn it off ?

Thanks

The first book I read on computers suggested never turning the computer off. This was based on the fact that electrical componants go through the most stress at the time in which you turn it on. I clean my fans once a month before they get dusty so the cleanliness of the inside doesn't concern me. It is a bit of a waste of energy but standbye and hibernation features reduce the energy consuption.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 June 2007 - 01:47 PM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Thanks

The first book I read on computers suggested never turning the computer off. This was based on the fact that electrical componants go through the most stress at the time in which you turn it on. I clean my fans once a month before they get dusty so the cleanliness of the inside doesn't concern me. It is a bit of a waste of energy but standbye and hibernation features reduce the energy consuption.

Oh ,,, I never knew they suggest never turn it off , Though every day I always turn mine off, Sometimes I will do it more then once in a single day and my computer is going on 6 years without a problem , I guess I'm lucky then ? I do agree standbye and hibernation features reduce the energy consuption ...

BTW you clean your fans every month ? I hope you do so with the power off ? :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Of course i do :whistling:. There are always times with the computer has to be turned off or restarted for things such as Windows updates, it's just a superstition these days but it is one many of us will stick by.

Edit: To add to this many of the older techs consider "turned off" to mean that all the power is killed via the switch on the PSU. When the computer is "off" but the PSU switch is turned on then the computer is almost in a form of hibernation.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 June 2007 - 05:21 PM.