Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BUILDING NEW SYSTEMS (TOWER AND LAPTOP) - $ not an object

• Please log in to reply

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hello,

You guys had helped me numerous times previously and I would like to ask for help one more time:

I need to buy 1 computer and 1 laptop, both for home and office use ($ is not an object at this time). Need fast, stable, robust machines (HA-HA!!!) that I won't need to upgrade for a couple of years. Here's a list of software that will be used on both computers. What kind of brands, hardware reqs can you recommend? Operating system Windows XP Professional, SP2. I would appreciate any input and help.
Both must be fast!!!

1. Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 10.7 -11
o Make movie: When your project is complete, generate a finished movie in your choice of format and storage medium: tape, VCD, S‑VCD, DVD, AVI, MPEG, RealVideo or Windows Media.
2. Photoshop v7
3. ATI Catalyst (video card on motherboard, allows to capture from TV, camera, etc.)
4. Adobe Audition 1.5
5. Nero 7
6. Arcsoft Collage Creator Version 1
7. Adobe Acrobat
8. Microsoft Office 2000 (all components)
9. Windows Media Player
10. Google Earth
11. PC Video Camera
12. Anti Virus Program (doesn't matter which)
13. Winzip
14. WinRAR
15. Yahoo messenger
16. Real Player
17. Quick Time
18. ATI Multimedia Center

Thanks and again, I appreciate all your help!!!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For you laptop you don't really have a choice unless you reinstall the OS, but if you don't want to do this your getting Vista for a new laptop.

ATI's best is the HD 2900XT, however the 8800GTX out paces it by a fair margin. Crossfire or SLI if you really want even more performance but unless you game there will be little or no performance advantage.
Quad core is the most future proof the QX6800, might want to wait for the revisions at 45nm coming in late July or the much better quads coming out in september. (late fall will be the best time to upgrade in my opinion)
X-fi audio should be fine however if you are an extreme audio file there are better out there.
You'll want the P35 chipset (if you build now) but I'd wait a month for this if you can so that more options will be available.
If money really isn't an option then DDR3, but your going to be paying an arm an a leg for it.
850W power supply from PC power and cooling to settle your upgrading needs and current hardware for a long time to come.

I can be more specific, but I want to know 3 things.
1. Are you only willing to buy ATI, otherwise I have no idea what the above information was all about.
2. Do you need a monitor?
3. When do you plan on building, can you wait till the fall or do you need in immediately?

James

Edited by james_8970, 07 June 2007 - 04:57 PM.

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
james_8970, thanks for your reply

I'm sure major companies will still sell PCs and laptops with XP, might have to wait a while though... I heard that Office 2000 will not work on Vista, he can't afford to lose Outlook 2000 archives, therefore XP SP2.

1. Are you only willing to buy ATI - this is a current setup, my uncle (who the computers are actually for) specifically noted this one... I guess one of the programs above require ATI? is there a better alternative?
2. yes, need a monitor
3. he wants it as soon as possible since his system is crawling and needs to be upgraded, but is it really worth waiting until the fall?

I really don't know much about hardware. My uncle provided the list of programs he uses, and asked for help in choosing/advising on the subject of buying new PC and laptop for his home and business that can accommodate the list of programs above and be fast at the same time.

PS. and there is no gaming on either machine... :whistling:

Edited by Kzayaz, 07 June 2007 - 05:43 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Outlook 2007 as far as I know is backwards compatible with Outlook 2000 achieves, besides he could just install Office 2000 on Vista.

Everything compatible with ATI is compatible with Nvidia, some people will one buy from one or the other due to bad past experiences.

If there is no gaming then a high end video card won't be needed, he will only need a mid range video card for video processing on video editing programs.

It's up to him when he wants to update, but the processors coming out in the end H2 of 2007 (late in the half I'm expecting) are expecting to be 15-40% better then existing processors the main component for your uncles computer that he'll be needing. So ask him what he thinks, there just isn't any point of me helping you build this computer if he wants to wait as that would be a waste of both of our time since things will change greatly by then. If he wants we can wait till a new chipset comes out in the summer that will work with the upcoming processors. Also AMD said it'd be around in the 2H of 2007, but they have had long delays lately so I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in Q1 2008. Everyone is only estimating right now, so if he wants it really bad then let me know and we can get started. Also does he like 2 monitors or 1? What size would he like?

Will this computer be home built? Or pre-built by a specilised computer company, I advise you don't go to Dell or HP for a high end system like this if neither of you are up to the task of building this rig. They over price. Also he must have some kind of an idea between the two. Because this bill could easily go over 5 grand.