Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up LAN

• Please log in to reply

RisingForce

RisingForce

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK, I am trying to setup a Local Area Network.
I have two old computers with Windows 2000 on them.
I have identical ethernet cards installed on them.
They are called 3COM Etherlink XL PCI TPO NIC(3C900B-TPO)
Device Manager says they are working properly.
Now I connected the computers with what I think is a crossover cable(The ends look like a phone cables but they are wider looking)
When I started up the computers, i guess the drivers were stock with windows 2000. Anyway yeah so it created a Local Area Network on my one computer but on the other computer it created Local Area Network 2 for some reason and when i tried connecting it said that the network cable was unplugged. I tried unplugging the cables and pluging them back in. I tried enabling and disabling. I tried restarting.

What should I do?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

what I think is a crossover cable

If you don't know it's a crossover cable, then you need to find out. They are cheap, so a good way to check is to just go down to your local computer store and buy one. If you're still having problems and you KNOW it's a crossover cable, post back here and we'll continue with some other options.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You know it is a crossover cable if you compare the ends, if the wires in each end are in the same order then it is straight through. If the wires are in a different order, most noticable are the orange wires and the green wires are in different places then it is a crossover cable.