Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uploading files/Photos

• Please log in to reply

spheon

spheon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I need help, i have pulled my hair out!

ok...I have a router from which I have several pcs wired/wirelessly connected, not networked together. I have a pc with vista 64bit ultimate and all the others are xp 32bit. All have windows updates, all have same av (avast) all use same ie7 etc etc

all settings as i see are same (subject to vista/xp differences) at defaults.

I can upload a file/photo to say photobucket/imageshack etc from my vista pc no problem! The xp machines however time out and fail. I can get the browse, select the file (even same file i upped from vista machine) but when i click upload it hangs, says done when it hasnt etc...

what the [bleep] is wrong? I switch off av/fw etc still same...I have thought router but if vista ok what can it be?

the only thing i can think of is a xp patch is preventing me?

any suggestions would be gratefully received!

thanks

oh btw, I have even done a clean xp install to no avail :S 9the only thing i have different on my router is a 'fixed' port number forwrded to my vista machine and remote open to my vista (again on a fixed port) - and nope they not port 80 :S

spheon

thanks in advance

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
hello spheon from what im reading theres a tool called windows easy transfer wizzard. this device trancfers files from xp to vista. what it doesnt say is if it backwards compatible. it claims to be able to transfer files, photos,settings thru several different protcols dvd, usb, network etc. both pc's have to have this program.what im wondering is why not burn those photos on a cd and transfer than like that?. im not vista savy yet but im working on it so this is all conjecture except about the program heres where its at...http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=39F724EB-4E37-4BE0-ADFC-786786E73E50&displaylang=en&clcid=0x409

Edited by krmooo, 07 June 2007 - 10:21 PM.

spheon

spheon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for reply however, its not the transfering of the files from my xp pc to vista pc its from my xp uploading to the web onto places such as photobucket/imageshack.

(but it works from my vista pc...weird!)

any ideas anyone? please....

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Spheon,

What type of firewall do you have if any? On both systems? Are they setup the same? What one is wireless what one is wired?

spheon

spheon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
both are windows firewalls, and i believe they are set up as default. I have avast home user av

I have both a wireless and wired xp computer thats giving uploading problems..any attachment and any file i try to upload from webmail and/or photobucket type services, however everything works from my vista wired pc :S

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
has there been any firewall alerts saying the program was blocked etc? probaly not otherwise you wouldnt be here :whistling: how about adding the port manually? open a command prompt and type \AccountName> -ano > netstat .txt_
next line type >Textlist >textlist >tasklist .txt type Settings \AccountName>netstat >ano > netstat.txt next line. \Settings >AccountName >Tasklist > tasklist.task Settings \AccountName /svc > tasklist .txt Open the task list and look for the program your trouble shooting. write down the process identifier (pid) and open the process identifier and the protocol that is used/ look for entries the pid and the the protocol is used if the port number are below 1024 the port numbers probably wont change equal to or higher than 1024 the programs may use a wide range of ports and you may be able to resovle this by opening individual ports... hope this helps

Edited by krmooo, 08 June 2007 - 05:10 PM.

spheon

spheon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
you may be onto to something perhaps but I am afraid you have completely lost me :S

I have opened a command prompt start>run>cmd

now I have tried to type the items you have indicated in many formats and I am getting errors? sorry not too technically minded...

thanks

ok some more feedback.....

I have a Netgear Modem DG834 acting as a dmz server linked to a Netgear Router WNR854T, I have now linked my laptop with xp direct to the modem and it uploads! :S great but i cannot see the rest of my network!
So it MUST be my Netgear Router or the traffic between it stopping the XPs from uploading and for some reason allowing my Vista.

I have several ports forwarded to my vista pc one for a particular software package, ftp, remotedesktop and thats it! so other than that all settings are generic. I have made sure all MTU etc are identical from the server to the router and still not joy:S

thanks in advance again

UPDATE.....I have found the bug! When I try and forward any port to my server it makes the upload problem occur on all of my other pcs :S
If I delete all the port forwarding from the router the glitch clears....I have emailed Netgear!

Thanks for your help though!

sph

Edited by spheon, 09 June 2007 - 08:16 AM.