Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File recovery

• Please log in to reply

Sticc

Sticc

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have a failed harddrive. Its a Western Digital 20 GB manufactured in Nov 2001. It began failing to boot about a week ago, but with a reset of the system it would boot.
It was freezing up in one of 2 places, either right after the post screen or sometimes it would get to the black Starting Windows screen with the progress bar that runs all of the way across the bottom of the screen.
Sorry I am running W2K Pro.
The last time the drive did boot correctly it operaetd for about ten minutes and then started making some really loud clicking noises then the system froze up. Has not booted since.
I really need to recover the data on the drive.
I have a 2.0 USB harddrive cable that I am attempting to use to recover the data. The drive spins up and sounds normal and I can see it in My Computer or when I go into explore but it will not read any of the files.
I have never tried to attempt a recovery like this so I am pretty much in the dark as to what to do since the direct drive to drive transfer didn't work.
I was planning on just moving the files from the bad drive to a newly created folder on my new much larger HD.
Please help.

Thanks Sticc

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
if you could provide the model number, serial number is it a caviar etc. also western digital has sofrtware called data lifegaurd tools. looking at their website it seems they have lots to offer. support.wd.com heres the support email address.

Sticc

Sticc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Its a WD Caviar S/N WMAAR2704729
MDL: WD200BB - 75CLB0
DCM: DSEAET2CH

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
looking at the wd web site they have a downloadable tool called data lifegaurd for windows. it doesnt mention anything about data recovery although it does say there is a drive to drive copy function. you stated youve tried that with no results. i know theres many more qualified tech folks on here who has the knowledge on this matter perhaps they can walk you thru this.my advice is since you have internet access go to western digital web site contact their support, look at the software i described see if its what you need. if it is dead you might consider sending it off for a data recovery procedure

Edited by krmooo, 07 June 2007 - 09:52 PM.