Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

HELP blank screen with blinking typing cursor dell pc xp

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello all
i have a dell computer which was working fine before i reinstalled the windows and now it doesn't boot up. it keep on giving me blank screen with blinking typing cursor right after bios. i am able to get into bios.

now..i am fully positive that the hard drive is not defective and the window's are installed properly, because i used the same hard drive in my ibm laptop and it worked fine.

one thing i should let you know is that, i installed the windows on my ibm computer and then installed the hard drive in my dell computer which is not booting.

could the reason for the dell computer to not be booting my hard drive BE cuz i installed the hard drive on an ibm computer?

on the side note also one of my question is that CAN I SWAP HARD DRIVES FROM IBM laptop to DELL laptop.?

the hard drive was installed on ibm, and works fine on ibm but it doesn't boot up on dell and instead gives me blank screen with blinking typing cursor?!?

sorry if i am confusing you guyz, please ask me for any details if i seem to have confused you!

also if some of you are wondering that why i didn't directly instal the operating system on the hard drive in dell computer, <<well the answer to that is that, my dell optical cd drive doesn't work so i decided to install it on ibm and take it into dell.

thanks in advance.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sunny119...

The operating system must be installed on the machine it's going to run from. Put the HDD back in the machine that won't boot, then...

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Your Dell cd should give you the repair option.