Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having troubles with c:\Recycled

• Please log in to reply

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was about to empty my waste basket, but it was already empty, later I discovered all the deleted files when to c:\Recycled, but with it's name changed to DC plus a number (DC1, DC2, DC3 and so on) I know it's the same file, 'cause the type and size coincide

I had AVG Antivirus, but it never detected a thing, so I downloaded a Trial Version of MCAfee and it found the RedLof virus, it say it cleaned all the files, and it deleted the ones it couldnt clean

But the problem with the files and the waste basket hasnt stop at all, even if MCAfee says the PC has no virus now

Also, I tried to uninstall AVG later, but it wont let me, it shows me this error message

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file setup.exe: creating backup....
Acceso denegado. (5) %DESTINATION% = "C:\Archivos de programa\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe.install_backup", %SOURCE% = "C:\Archivos de programa\Grisoft\AVG Free\setup.exe"

My HiJackThis log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:23:54 p.m., on 07/06/2007
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0100)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCSHLD9X.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\OASCLNT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCTSKSHD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\S4TSR.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\ARCHIVOS COMUNES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SISTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSFTSN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MOZILLA FIREFOX\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\MIS DOCUMENTOS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Vínculos
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: Megaupload Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-CCB0-B130EEDBE97C} - C:\ARCHIV~1\MEGAUP~1\MEGAUP~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: BitComet ClickCapture - {39F7E362-828A-4B5A-BCAF-5B79BFDFEA60} - C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BITCOMET\TOOLS\BITCOMETBHO.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@3082,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Megaupload Toolbar - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-CCB0-B130EEDBE97C} - C:\ARCHIV~1\MEGAUP~1\MEGAUP~1.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DisableEHCI] C:\WINDOWS\S4TSR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Archivos de programa\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\ARCHIV~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\ARCHIV~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\ARCHIV~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\ARCHIV~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\ARCHIV~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\ARCHIV~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCTskShd] C:\ARCHIV~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mctskshd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McShld9x] C:\Archivos de programa\McAfee.com\VSO\mcshld9x.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] C:\ARCHIV~1\MESSEN~1\msmsgs.exe /background
O4 - Startup: Utility Tray.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sistray.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download link using &BitComet - res://C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BITCOMET\BITCOMET.EXE/AddLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all links using BitComet - res://C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BITCOMET\BITCOMET.EXE/AddAllLink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all videos using BitComet - res://C:\ARCHIVOS DE PROGRAMA\BITCOMET\BITCOMET.EXE/AddVideo.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\ARCHIV~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\ARCHIV~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\ARCHIV~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {8436FE12-31DB-48BF-83BF-FE682F9160B4} (NanoInstaller Class) - http://www.nanoscan....bs/nanoinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF791A6B-FC12-4C68-99EF-FB9E207A39E6} (McFreeScan Class) - http://download.mcaf...047/mcfscan.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...01/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,26/mcgdmgr.cab

thanks for your time on reading this,

Advertisements

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
You have no problem with your Recycle Bin. It's the way Windows works. Files in the Recycle Bin of Win98 are actually stored in the hidden folder C:\Recycled, but their filenames change to D (presumably meaning Delete or something of the sort), plus your drive letter (in your case, C), as well as a number. The file extension remains the same. So in your case you may ave seen a file in the folder with the name DC1.exe. It's the original file, just with a different name.

Now, the Recycle Bin works by deleting the file pathways, thus disabling access to the files in their original location. They are kept in the Recycled folder until new data overwrites the spots on the hard drive where these files are stored.

If I'm confusing you, Wikipedia has a good explanation on the page "Recycle Bin (Windows)".

As to your issues with uninstalling AVG...I don't know. Have you tried both AVG's uninstaller and the Windows uninstaller (in the Control Panel under Add/Remove Programs)?

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yap, I tried accessing the c:\Recycled dir in some other computer, and it leaded me to the recycle bin

But in my case it's displayed as any other folder (it doesnt have the "empty recycle bin" or "restore" buttons) and it wont let me delete anything from there either, and when I open the Recycle bin in the desktop, it appears empty, even if there are files in C:\recycled. I was able to delete the files from MS-DOS, though there are some folders there and they wont get deleted no matter what I do. Is this information relevant, or it's just me being too paranoid by now?

Concerning AVG, I tried both uninstallers, and it always show up the same message :whistling:

Edited by EeveeChan, 09 June 2007 - 04:50 PM.

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Concerning the C:\Recycled question, you're being a bit paranoid.

Concerning AVG uninstalling, I can't answer that one.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
HERE is a link to the AVG forum and a possible answer for uninstalling AVG.
And, yes, sometimes you have to re-install to be able to uninstall.

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Concerning the C:\Recycled question, you're being a bit paranoid.

Concerning AVG uninstalling, I can't answer that one.

but how can I empty the recycle bin without using MS-DOS :whistling: ?

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
C:\Recycled is NOT your Recycle Bin. You sound a little confused at the difference between the two.

As far as your PC cares, the stuff in C:\Recycled doesn't exist. You should be like your PC and consider it to not exist as well. You'll quickly find that one day after installing something you might be missing the files in there and you'll be wondering where they went. But that's the way it works.

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

HERE is a link to the AVG forum and a possible answer for uninstalling AVG.
And, yes, sometimes you have to re-install to be able to uninstall.

thank you, I've been able to uninstall it now :whistling:

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

C:\Recycled is NOT your Recycle Bin. You sound a little confused at the difference between the two.

As far as your PC cares, the stuff in C:\Recycled doesn't exist. You should be like your PC and consider it to not exist as well. You'll quickly find that one day after installing something you might be missing the files in there and you'll be wondering where they went. But that's the way it works.

I was trying to pretend it doesnt exist either, but thing is the files in it still uses the space, and my hard disk is kinda small too

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
It's like this...the data will still be physically stored there until overwritten by other data. It looks like it's taking up the space but don't worry about it.

Edited by ghetto_smurf, 09 June 2007 - 08:16 PM.

EeveeChan

EeveeChan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
oh well, thank you very much :whistling: