Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive help!

• Please log in to reply

pytis

pytis

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok my computer does not boot completly not even to the boot from cd thing becouse i used a bad windows xp cd and some files didint get copied so i skiped them but now it wont bood to windows so i heard from another post to take out the hard drive put it in a friends computer and delete the particion and make a new one but i dont realy know how to do that my intelegence only goes to get the hard drive out but thats it now what witch wires do i use to hook it up. than do i use slave,master,whatever. i dont know what it means so can anyone give a step by step guide how to do this. any hints will do too. i dont want to buy a new hard drive becouse its a 260gig one and i dont want to throw that away.i can use my dads computer to do the job but how do i do it theres already 2 hard drives in there. so is there any way to hook up a 3rd 1.someone please help.

:tazz: ANY HINTS/TIPS WILL HELP. ;)
Thank you in advance

Advertisements

pytis

pytis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
PS. anyone know any good books or websites that teach more about computers or anything i want to learn more. im using computers since i was 6 but i still donk know everything

Edited by pytis, 09 April 2005 - 11:24 PM.

Capn' Crunch

Capn' Crunch

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well you don't have to move the HD at all.
You can make a boot disk on a friends computer and put a copy of fdisk on it.
You can download fdisk off the internet for free.

Also what do you mean by a bad xp disk?
Is it scratched?
If it's new you might try begging for a replacement from where you got it.
Not sure how well those cd scratch fixer thingies work.

But to delete and remake a partition get the boot disk set and boot from that.
Then run fdisk. It's pretty simple to use. Just make sure you create a partition after deleting the first one.

Actually you might be able to just boot from a "good" xp cd and reinstall.

Any questions? :tazz:

pytis

pytis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
um you got the problem all wrong i meant that i cant even get to the part where it says
to boot from cd press any key
all it is is the screen shows up where it says to enter setup press del and than the screen goes blank with a flashing bar on the top left corner

i cant get it to boot, so i need to delete the partition form this harddrive. is there any way to do that with using another persons hard drive or computer withought this f****d up hard drive being the one where it boots windows.
its hard to explain.

i got a good copy of xp also so i dont need a copy all i need is to delete the partition from this hard drive and make a new one but how?

Edited by pytis, 09 April 2005 - 11:26 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
use your dads computer go to bootdisk.com and download a 98 bootdisk
Will fit on 1 floppy. When you start the computer have the disk in the drive 1st and it will boot to dos then type fdisk - easy to use.
HOWEVER I would 1st try with what you have you say you have a good xp disk now.
1 when the screen shows hit DEL do so then look for where to make the
boot options - usally under Advaced (every one is different) But you will see that is Has boot order Normally floppy is first - change this to CDROM (most use page down to change) but it will say how on the screen. then hit escape that will bring you back to the main screen
where you will have the option to save & exit(most times F10) do so
then put the cd in the drive and on reboot it should sart from the cd
if not do as above

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
PS if either of these do not work I will go through step by step
how to put the drive on your dads

pytis

pytis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
ok i went to advanced bios setup and i changed 1rst boot device to cd rom 2cd to floppy
3rd to hard disk but same thing

it goes to the press del to enter setup than the bar in the corner appers and nothing happens. do i need to use my dads computer or what

PS. i dont have a floppy drive in my computer so i cant do option 1.

Velox

Velox

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It could be a problem with your Ram. My friend had a problem exactly like this and it was just faulty ram. Instead of even thinking about buying a new hard drive, jsut bring your computer into a shop and get them to look at it. There are memory tests but...I do believe you need a floppy drive to use them.

pytis

pytis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i fixed it somehow but my firefox brouser is runing slow and freezes for 20 seconds sometimes so i reinstaled widows xp prof but now my dvd-r isint showing up on my computer. wires in and everything and it was working with xp home edition and i cant find a driver fo my pioneer dvd-rw dvr-108
and my firefox is still crashing.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
the problem has nothing to do with partitions of the hdd if it wont actually boot into the primary boot device id try messing with the ide cables u know unattach all ide cables boot up, then reatach just hdd see what happens