Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a Notebook

• Please log in to reply

Malikorx

Malikorx

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I am looking at building my own laptop. I will use it for gaming mostly, as well as the everyday uses or surfing the web and checking email. I want to know what some of the best websites are for purchasing the components that I will need to build this laptop. Even though it will be for gaming, I would rather the screen of the barebook to be 15.4" because I am a little more than half blind and I find it hard to see the whole screen with any bigger screen. Any recommendations for the CPU, RAM, graphics card, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I know what I am looking for in performance but I am not up-to-date with all of the new hardware. Also, if you can provide a link to a good online guide to notebook-building, that would be very useful too. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
"Building" a laptop isn't quite as easy as you think. First you have to buy a bare bones unit, then upgrade it. The motherboard has to support recent hardware and adding a video card to a laptop that has intergraded could be impossible due to space restraints(buying a barebones laptop will have intergraded).
If your gaming have at least a x1600 or geforcego 7600.
Be sure to have a core2duo, I'm at school at the moment so I can't give you exact model numbers, but be sure they're clocked no lower then 1.86GHz, 2GHz would be the sweet spot.
You need 2GB DDR2 of ram, no more no less.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 June 2007 - 08:05 AM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
What if I don't put the components in a barebones laptop? How about a small metal briefcase and cut out the spots for USB ports and whatnot? I've seen it done before but the laptop wasn't meant for gaming.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just out of curiosity y are you trying to do this?
I guess you could attempt this, but where are you planning to purchase the laptop motherboard, because I don't know of any place to get them myself. Honestly I don't think there are any retail laptop motherboards.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 June 2007 - 05:13 PM.

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Not sure about the motherboard but I can look into it. Plus I have access to quite a few Alienware laptops that I can pull the motherboard out of, or possibly leave in and use the case. Just replace the other components with better ones. Also, I look here for parts: http://www.abs.com/diy/notebookdiy.asp

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You could always do this, but why not just configure a laptop from Alienware in the first place if that was the case. It comes to pretty well the same price.
James

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
The Alienware have components in them that do not work, and they are about 7 years old so I can put better components in them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
O I thought you ment buy a new one online.
The motherboard won't be of any use, I can tell you that right now. The socket won't be right along with it support DDR instead of DDR2, and so many other compatibiliy issues with uptodate hardware.
James

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Sigh...attempts to build my own seem like a worthless effort. Thank you for the input.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not worthless, it'd be a fun experience I'm sure but you would in no way be saving money and it'd be very difficult to accomplish due to fact that you can't add to much that'd heat up and such. I'm sure it'd be fun do to, but I myself would never attempt it or suggest it to anyone else unless laptop motherboards and empty laptop chasses became available, still you would have to deal with heat related issues.
James

Malikorx

Malikorx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Well thank you for all of the information :whistling: