Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing issue

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
macten,

Freezes can be caused by many problems and most of the time its software related, the reason this thread is troubleshooting hardware is because big10ken10 can't load the OS therfore no drivers or other software could yet cause the problem.

I suggest you start a thread with the particulares to your problem and the things you have already tried to fix the problem.

Rick

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If I leave her hardrive in it freezes. I put in a new hardrive and tried to load an operating system, it still freezes. So it's not software related in my case.....

My cpu is running at 34C and I put in a new power supply, cables and a known good dvd/cd-rom drive. The operating system starts to load and it locks up....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm using on-board video and have no cards installed....

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
macten,

Ok if you can't load the os then it is hardware,please correct me if I am wrong but we know it is not,

1 The hdd because you tried another
2 You tried a known working cdr drive
3 Replaced cables
4 Have no cards installed
5 Have installed a new psu
6 Temps are good

Now try running memtest86 to test the ram, if there is more than 1 stick test each stick individually and let memtest run for atleast 3 passes on each.

Make sure the 4 pin 12v connector from the psu the the mobo is connected

Clear the cmos and load the defaults then check that the cpu/fsb is correct also check that the dram clock is set at the same speed as the cpu.

Check for correct vcore voltage.

Post your system specs mobo, cpu, ram, psu or the brand name of computer with model name and model number.

Rick

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I put the 2 memory modules (pc133) into my other pc and it ran flawlessly for 4 days, so I think we can say that the memory is ok.

I'll get back to you with the rest of the info.....