Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall vs. Windows Live OneCare

• Please log in to reply

periwinkle

periwinkle

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I recently decided to try the Windows Live OneCare application. I believe it is a sort of combo antivirus/firewall app. Now, I notice that my Windows Firewall is not turned on. I'm thinking that the OneCare turned it off. When I try to turn it on, the box is grayed out. It also said something about some setting being controlled through Group Policy. I don't know what this means. Other than installing the OneCare, I haven't done anything with "Group Policy" and I don't even know how to do this. I'm thinking that the OneCare app has done this. It has been acting as a firewall, since it has told me that it has allowed such and such program access in the last few days.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are most probably right. The new program which contains a firewall application disabled the standard windows firewall to avoid conflicts. When you download other firewalls (ZoneAlarm, for example) the same thing happens. As soon as you remove the new program windows firewall is reactivated.