Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Outlook from Windows backup.

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so I am working on a computer that is having various issues going back to some spyware/adware that was installed originally a few months ago.

Today the owner and I decided to do a full format of the hard drive and start fresh, except for Outlook.

Last Monday I did a full backup of her computer using the Windows XP backup software, so I know somewhere in that backup file is the data that the owner needs to get all of her emails and contacts back.

The problem though is that I don't know where exactly those files are located, and even when I find them I am not sure as to how to put them back into her computer.

I have tried this before without much luck, so now I am asking the pros.

She is using Office XP on Windows Pro with sp2.

Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi RjBass.

The Outlook data files are located at C:\documents and settings\UserName\local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

You can simply open the file once you've got Outlook setup. This will treat the file as an additional PST file and keep it separate from the active folder. Or you can import the file into the active folders.

To import the files into your current Outlook structure: Open Outlook, click File, Import/Export, Import from another file/program, scroll to Personal Folder File (PST). On the next screen, click Browse to find one of your files. The next screen deals with which folder to import and where to import the file in your current structure. The upper folder level (either Personal Folders or possibly Mailbox if you've got Exchange) will be highlighted. The safest and most fool-proof choice is "Import into the same folder in" and then open the drop-down box and choose your Personal Folders (or possibly Mailbox if you've got Exchange). This will import Calendar into the Calendar folder, Contacts into the Contacts folder, etc.

Good luck!

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks.

I beleive I was looking at the Outlook archives in the regular Application Data foler before Local Settings. I just wasn't sure where the rest of that data was stored.

I'm gonna save this for when I start the process.