Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Perhaps try and recruit more members?

• Please log in to reply

Steudaman444

Steudaman444

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just a suggestion here but perhaps a scheme should be put into place to try and attract more members. I notice the forums are very inactive compared to what i remember they used to be like. Obviously it's easier said than done, and it could just be times that i come online, but has no one else noticed this? Just a suggestion..goodbye.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
212K+ members ain't all bad...

And 5th on a Google search for "free computer help" is about as great as you're going to get as a recruiting tool. (With the exception of 1st-4th :whistling:)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks for your interest. I haven't addressed a question like this in a long time, so it's about time I do...

1) We do have a lot of traffic. Over 1/2 million unique visitors per month, from all around the world. Our waiting room often gets backed up as we're trying to keep up with the help requests we receive. Not many sites have almost a million posts, VERY few have over 200K members (ranked 151 according to BigBoards).

2) Our traffic has been mostly flat the last year, but it has been rising, especially in the last few months:
2007.png

3) A large share of the traffic to this site is for malware help. Sometimes you rank high in search engines results for an infection, sometimes you don't. We haven't ranked real high with the last couple of popular infections, we may with the next. It's hard to control, and even harder to predict. Over time the number of malware topics here has decreased, as topics in other forums have increased, but I think it's good to have better balance.

4) We are seen as a free computer help site (ranked number 3 for me). The only problem with that is people get their problem resolved and leave. I'd like us to also been seen as an enthusiast site. What's the difference? An enthusiast site is somewhere you come to not just for help, but also to discuss new technologies, exchange advice, learn about new products, read reviews, etc. We're working on some ideas to encourage that. One we just recently introduced, the new homepage, but it's still in it's early stages. Currently, only about 10% of the visitors here ever view the homepage. We're also looking to add more content, and we constantly re-evaluate our forums.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The forums are inactive??????

I think I am just too active on them. 8.23 posts per day for me.
Most Computer help questions get answered within a day.
Malware questions within 4 days usually.

Sounds active to me.

Edited by tuxmaster, 11 June 2007 - 10:13 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Just a suggestion here but perhaps a scheme should be put into place to try and attract more members. I notice the forums are very inactive compared to what i remember they used to be like. Obviously it's easier said than done, and it could just be times that i come online, but has no one else noticed this? Just a suggestion..goodbye.

Let me ask you this. You yourself joined on June the 8th of this year. That's only a few days ago. What are you comparing the traffic to?
What is it that you personally feel would keep you coming back for more? Are there any suggestions you have on ways that we can improve our ability to keep people here and posting once their issues are resolved?

The best way we can improve is to have input and advice from people like yourself :whistling: