Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-RW not working at all!

• Please log in to reply

mister_three

mister_three

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there,
I have a Dell Dimension 9150 that came with a CD-RW drive and a DVD-RW drive.

The DVD-RW drive is of model HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N.

I tried to burn a DVD with data using Nero 7, but I found that the blank DVD wasn't even being loaded. When I double-clicked the E: drive from My Computer (the DVD-RW drive), the computer froze until I took out the blank DVD.

I then tried to play a DVD movie in that drive, but again, the computer doesn't recognize that a DVD is in the drive. When I try to go in manually, the "CD cursor" comes up and eventually Windows freezes.

Windows XP doesn't even boot if there is a DVD in the drive, until I take out the DVD.

My CD-RW drive, on the other hand, works fine. I can use CD and burn CDs using this drive.

The thing is, I used to use virtual drive software like Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%. I had a virtual F: DVD drive with Daemon Tools. However, I have since uninstalled all of these programs, registry keys and all. (At least I hope so.)

I have tried disabling and re-enabling the DVD drive by deleting its drivers and then adding back the device using Add/Remove Hardware, but the problem persists.

I have also run Ad-Aware: It comes up clean. I also don't have any viruses.

Any thoughts as to why my DVD drive doesn't work?

(Thank you for reading. :whistling: )

Edited by mister_three, 08 June 2007 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

HJT log removed

Edited by don77, 12 June 2007 - 09:27 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you sure about the model number is Dimension 9150 and not 9100...dell support does not list 9150 as a model there link is here......anyway get their chipset drivers for your model of computer...

Edited by happyrck, 08 June 2007 - 06:30 PM.

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It is a 9150. Here is a link to something like my computer: here

(my access portal to Dell's homepage is "Latin American"- maybe that has something to do with it?)

except mine has a 2.80 GHz processor and 2 GB of ram.

My DVD drive is still malfunctioning. *grr*

Any thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the motherboard icon...see what chipset you have...then go here .intel chipset installer to get the drivers

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I got the drivers from the websites you gave, but no change.

I've been searching for problems similar to mine on the net. Apparently other people are having problems with Dell PCs and their DVD drives as well.

Take a look at this forum topic on Dell's website: here

The symptoms are pretty much like those of my computer- CD drive works fine, DVD drive doesn't.

I will try the Nero thing described in the forum later today, and see if there's any change.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the nero fix doesn't work....try the one removing the upper and lower filters

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update:

I tried two of the steps listed in that document in the forum.

First, I deleted upper and lower filters as laid out in the document. This involved playing around with the registry. (nothing bad happened :whistling:)

Then, I disabled BOTH drives (not just DVD drive, as I was doing before). I reenabled them using Add Hardware in Control Panel and restarted the computer.

Result:
The DVD drive is at least not freaking out anymore when I put in a DVD. I tried a burned DVD containing some pictures and it worked. I was able to browse and the computer didn't freeze!

However, I can't play 'official' DVD movies in this drive (doesn't recognize them, but this might be a compatibility issue more than anything else- I can play burned DVD movies, for example a burned DVD of a party video).

Also, I can't burn any DVDs. While the drive doesn't freak out when I put in a blank dvd anymore (which is good), the drive doesn't recognize that the blank DVD can be recorded. It turns into a CD-drive and when I check out the CD by right-clicking, it appears to be a CD with no free space.

I haven't tried the Nero way yet because I'm unsure whether I should. Nero was (presumably) what got me into this mess in the first place! But I suspect that if I ever want to burn DVDs, I will have to rely on third party software.

Conclusion:
DVD drive isn't tripping out, but it's not perfect yet either.

Your thoughts?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try xp codec pack...install it and reboot..

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I installed the codec pack, but no change.

Should I just try the Nero? As a last resort...

:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...it can't hurt

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I installed Nero 6, and now I'm trying to burn a DVD.

I'll tell you how it works out tonight.

mister_three

mister_three

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Update:

I tried burning a DVD with nero 6, but it didn't work.

Windows explorer froze as soon as I tried exploring the blank DVD, and unfroze when I took it out.

Darn.. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
posible fix for if you can't play standard DVD movies...

You might need a AC3 filter. PowerDVD will install one ...

CyberLink PowerDVD...they have a free trial....just to see if it will work playing dvds

another free player is VLC player...get it here...

or for just the filter go here

--