Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help regarding extracting files from old compter...

• Please log in to reply

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
I need a little help, my computer recently stopped working, the microprocessor burned out apparently, now i've got so many mp3's, videos and documents that i'd like to get back, is there anyway that i could link my laptop to my old computer and get access to these old files? Anyway possible?

Any help would be ace!

Maff.

Advertisements

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
By the way, my old computer has a mains connection, but when plugged in doesnt really seem to have power going into it, if that helps?

If you need more info...ask.

Maff.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
it would be easier to remove the drive and slave it to a working computer and burn copies of all your data to cd/dvd's...you could do it with your laptop..BUT you would have to buy a usb external drive enclosure.(about $30.00)...then put the drive in it and then you could access the files from your laptop...

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply, now if i bought a USB external drive, would that work for sure, even though the microprocesser is burned out and no power is going into the old computer?
Just making sure.

Thanks again.

Maff.

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again, just googled for the suggested equipment, would this do the job?
http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0001GYNJ2

Maff.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you would have to remove the hard drive from the old non working computer...put the drive in the external enclosure...plug usb cable into your laptop..boot up...use my computer to see the external drive ...do what you will with the data on the drive...I suggest 2 copies as the minimum...
the link you provided for the enclosure would work...you can get them cheaper though...

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
again i thank you for the reply, is it as easy as that?
how would i plug the hard drive into the enclosure, i mean is it pretty straight forward or will i need to post a new topic :whistling:

I'm about to purchase the £17.90 usb external drive from amazon.co.uk, hope it works.

Fingers crossed!

Maff.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

is it as easy as that?

yep

how would i plug the hard drive into the enclosure, i mean is it pretty straight forward

yep

I'm about to purchase the £17.90 usb external drive from amazon.co.uk, hope it works.

is that a drive enclosure or a a usb drive...it has to be a drive enclosure that you put your drive with data into
go here to see what I'm talking about...has a video to watch showing you what to do

Fingers crossed!

won't need that... :whistling:

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Right oh, would this one do the job too?
http://www.amazon.co...-...5724&sr=8-1

I haven't got a lot of money and this one is a little less expensive.

Thanks for your help happyrck!

Maff.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the images are to small for me to see whats there very good...but it reads like it will be just fine

Advertisements

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again, received my Premium Hi-Speed USB2 / Firewire Combo Aluminium External Hard drive enclosure Kit 3.5" yesterday, now i'm afraid i'm having a little trouble connecting it to my old computer and new laptop.

Here's what i got with it:
Posted Image
1 USB cable.
1 Firewire cable

I've got the USB cable running from the external hard drive encloure kit to my laptop i'm guessing i'd need another USB cable to go from my laptop to old computer, am i right?

I thought this would be pretty straight forward :s
Maybe it is and i can't see, i have a migrane now :whistling: haha

any halp will be greatly appreciated.

Maff.

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wait a minute...sooooooo stupid!
I connected my old hard drive to the enclosure kit...i can't believe i didn't get that haha

Maff.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Ok for starters it is simple.

A quick question. Is the hard drive that you have the mp3 songs on is it a laptop or a tower (desk) computer? If it is a desk computer you will notice that the the hard drive in the computer that u need to take out and put in the case is actually bigger then the whole case. A 3.5" hard drive is a laptop hard disk. so you will need to exchange it. If the answer is no than you're in business.

Open silver case . U need to take the hard drive out of the old computer and set it in the case. There r 2 connectors in the case. each has a single place were it can go. Now close the case. connect the power to the case and plug in the usb to the laptop. The laptop should recognize it.
Good luck

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you see all your data...?

mrwylieisgone

mrwylieisgone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah all my old files, i'm chuffed as fEck...the [bleep] thing does cut out every so often, but nothing's perfect eh :whistling:

Thanks for your help and advice, appreciated!

Maff.