Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Updates Aren't Happening.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

When I go to the Microsoft Update page, my IE get's an error during the scanning phase. I have the option of sending the error report and then IE shuts down (v 7). I found the following error message in my event viewer.

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.5730.11, faulting module wuweb.dll, version 5.8.0.2469, fault address 0x00018003.

I researched this on the web and found a Microsoft article describing the fix. I stopped some services, unregistered some dll files, renamed some of those dll files, and rebooted my machine. Still, I am receiving this error.

At one sight, I found a post where a guy said he couldn't get the Microsoft fix to work unless he also deleted his temporary internet files. I tried that, as well as the Microsoft fix again, but still nothing.

Have any of you heard of this before? All IE 7 securities are set to their default settings. I'm running Windows Onecare.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello magusbuckley,

What article were you following for the fix?

Try reseting IE7.

Open up Internet Exploer.
Go to Tools
Then click on Internet Options
Click on Advanced Tab.
Click Reset.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
tuxmaster:

Thank you for the reply. I was using article number 914226 from the Microsoft site. The link is: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914226

I reset the browser and attempted the updates again, but I still received the error message. There are always two error messages in my event viewer. The first one is a fault bucket and the second mentions the wuweb.dll file.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
tuxmaster:

On another note, I just downloaded and installed IE7 again, rebooted the machine, and tried the windows update. Unfortunately, it failed.

Thanks,

Magus

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well, one more suggestion wont hurt. :whistling: click start run and type regsvr32 /i urlmon.dll click ok. go to the update site

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to uninstall internet explorer 7 in add/remove programs. That will roll you back to IE6.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
krmooo and skeptic:

I tried both of your suggestions. First krmooo's, and then skeptic's. Neither one of them has resolved my issue. Since the browser doesn't seem to be the problem, I reinstalled IE7.

Looks like I may have to reinstall Windows for this one. It's been working fine for months, but something has obviously changed in my system that I am unaware of.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
While Stumbeling around in tech accadamy I found this.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Step 1
Are you getting a specific error message?
If so, go here and check it

http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If there is no error, go to step 2

Step 2

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 jscript.dll
<enter>

Try Windows Update. If it is still not working, then try this:

Start >Run, type
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
<enter>

Try Windows Update. If it is still not working then lets try this:

step 3

Download and install the following

Windows scripting host 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
tuxmaster:

Sorry, but the reply is no, no, no, and no.

I'm not receiving a specific error message, though I can show this from my event viewer:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.5730.11, faulting module wuweb.dll, version 5.8.0.2469, fault address 0x00018003.

I tried all of your other options, in the order you suggested, and still came up with nothing.

Next?

Thanks,

Magus

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Thanks for that information.

Try this.

Reregister Windows Update components
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL, and then press ENTER.
2. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK.
3. Type the following commands in the Open box, one after the other, and then press ENTER after each command:
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Step 3: Rename the Windows Update temporary folder
The temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted. In this case, you can rename the temporary folder of Windows Update. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type net stop Wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%, and then press ENTER.
4. In the folder that opens, locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDold.
5. At the command prompt, type net start Wuauserv, and then press ENTER to start the Automatic Updates service.

If that does not work.

Put in your operating system CD.

Click on start
Click on run
type in sfc /scannow

Edited by tuxmaster, 09 June 2007 - 04:20 PM.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
tuxmaster:

That did the trick!! I didn't have to use my OS CD. The first part seemed to fix the problem. Hmmm, I suppose that folder was corrupted after all.

Thanks for your help. I was considering re-installing the OS. You have saved me a lot of time

Thanks a gazillion.

Magus

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You are welcome magusbuckley.

I take the general rule of if the computer boots it can be fixed or it is a hardware problem.

For me that means if the only think I can think of is reinstall that means I have more research to do.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
tuxmaster:

If you are still out there...I'm back with this same problem. The catch is this - although I had previously posted that this issue was resolved, it was really only resolved for that one instance. Every time I need to go to Windows Update, I have to do these steps that you recommended.

Here's what you told me to do...but I have to do this EVERY time I need to update.

Reregister Windows Update components
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL, and then press ENTER.
2. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK.
3. Type the following commands in the Open box, one after the other, and then press ENTER after each command:
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Step 3: Rename the Windows Update temporary folder
The temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted. In this case, you can rename the temporary folder of Windows Update. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type net stop Wuauserv, and then press ENTER.
3. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%, and then press ENTER.
4. In the folder that opens, locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDold.
5. At the command prompt, type net start Wuauserv, and then press ENTER to start the Automatic Updates service.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

magus

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Well....it may actually be fixed. This time, for real. My last update (made after my last post), installed a newer version of .NetFramework. After the reboot, I ran the update again and everything seemed to work OK.

We can close this topic now. If the situation occurs again, I'll just start a new post.

Thanks,

Magus