Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player on the web

• Please log in to reply

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have Windows Media Player 10 which works great but some of the websites that use media player doesn't let me see the video. It doesn't function. For example, I can see videos on youtube.com, but certain websites will just show the media player but the screen is blank while the play button, forward, etc buttons that are usually on the bottom are on top with nothing under it and won't play anything. Once I right-click, it wont let you choose play, pause, forward, rewind, etc. It used to work but I dont know what happened, what could be the problem?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
YouTube doesn't use Media Player.
Media Player problems can usually be solved by upgrading to the next version, in your case version 11, from the Windows Update site.
Failing that you may require a codec to play certain types of files, which one you need should be documented on the sites you're loading video from.

dmartinez04

dmartinez04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes I know youtube doesn't use media player, thats why I put that in to show that its only websites that use media player. I thought I had media player 10 but I actually have 11. I don't think it has anything to do with codecs since several of these sites used to work a few months ago but then it just stopped working on websites that have built-in media players on their page.