Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Connector Problem

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Due to recommendations about PC Power & Cooling power supplies I went ahead and bought the Turbo-Cool 850 SSI. Now, I'm sure that its an absolutely wonderful PSU but one thing that was not mentioned by the online retailer was that it only has an 8-pin power connector for the CPU. Problem is that I my mobo has a 4-pin slot. Seems I'm screwed, right?

Possibly not, because then I remembered something about an older PSU I had. It also had just an 8-pin connector but to use it on a 4-pin mobo, I was able to split it apart, like so:
plug1.jpg
plug2.jpg
plug3.jpg

Anyway, is there some kind of adapter I can buy?

Or would it be possible for my to jimmy that old plastic plug off the old power supply and onto the wires of the new one? I do realize that the two power supplies would have to work the same way in order to do this, but I have no idea. Can anybody help me with this?

EDIT: somebody from another forum suggested this, could this be a simpler solution?

just plug in the 4 pins and let the other 4 pins slop over the side of the plug

Edit: Reduced image size to keep our load speeds faster. Posting large images can make pages load very slowly...particularly for those on dialup. Please attach images within the post.

Edited by you_silly_mortals, 09 June 2007 - 07:38 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Congrats on the purchase of a great power supply. It's a shame OCz bought 'em.
The 8 pin will split into two 4 pins without any tools, exactly how you demonstrated above.
You need to look closer, if it doesn't split your looking at the wrong connector. This is a very good power supplies, which has 8pin PCIe connectors. You don't want to connect these into your mobo, these are for high end video cards. The only video card that currently needs it is the HD 2900XT.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 June 2007 - 10:35 AM.