Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer resets after Audio CD inserted

• Please log in to reply

gee_rard

gee_rard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

Having a problem when inserting an Audio CD into my computer. It has only just started happening. This problem didnt start occuring as a result of installing any new software (that i know of), and spyware and virus programs are running fine and are up to date (This computer isnt connected to the net either - i manually update definitions).

When the CD is inserted, the computer begins to read the CD and then resets. If the CD is left in the drive, the computer just continues to keep resetting every time i log into XP. I have tried with all different audio cd's - and in the two different drives i have - and the problem still occurs. DVD's and other cd's work fine, its just the audio cds that cause the problem. After resetting, windows informs me that it has recovered from a serious error.

If anyone is able to take up some of their time to explain to me what might be happening, or how i can fix it - I would be very very grateful!

Thanks in anticipation!

gee_rard

Advertisements

Dark One 123

Dark One 123

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Go into My Computer, right click the drive, go to Properties.
Click the AutoPlay Tab, select Music CD
In the actions bit, select "Select an action to perfom" and then select "Take No Action"

Does that make it stop? If it does, choose a program you use and then select that program so it auto play in that program.

If it does not work, after the restart check to see whether there is any Event Logs of it, and make paste it here.

Edited by Dark One 123, 09 June 2007 - 05:22 AM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
did you burn these audio cd's your self an if so what program? go in to your admin tools take a look at your event viewer under applications look for failures

Edited by krmooo, 09 June 2007 - 06:38 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is this a factory installed cd player? have you updated any drivers for this device? looked into your device manager for any yellow flags on those devices?

gee_rard

gee_rard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all, thanks for the replies guys.

Dark One 123:
I tried changing the autoplay settings and that still didnt work. I also checked to see if an event log was made, but it appears there are no failures.

Krmooo:
I am not using self made, burnt cd's, but the originals i bought from the music store. As mentioned above, I couldnt find anything in the event logs. I also updated all the device drivers - still no success! :whistling:

Any other ideas on what this little gremlin could be caused by??? I tried disabling my antivirus software in case it was somehow causing the problem, but no success there either.

Thanks,

gee_rard

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i'll be honest ive never heard of such quirk :blink: but hey... that in no way means it cant be fixed, or we cant find someone who can tell you whats goin on... heres my suggestion im sending you a link to the wmp programmers at microsoft. its a newgroup. do not e/mail them they will only respond thru their news group.first thing they'll want is a crash bucket. this dump will be located here,%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP they will analyze it and and offer precise fixes. trust me their pretty good seeing how they made the dang thing :help: my guess is a application conflict of some sort lol ...hows that for narrowing it down. any way heres the link :link heres the link to recovery :whistling: you must have a passport to be able to chat but you can look thru all 900 pages or so for free. the passport regeistration is free as well.

gee_rard

gee_rard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, ill give that a whirl then and see how i go! Thanks once again for your help and taking the time to respond. Its greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

gee_rard