Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply

chellenc68

chellenc68

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Error Loading Operating System

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Based on what you have posted thus far, my only suggestion would be to re-install your operating system.

That being said, when are you getting this error message?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried using "Last Know Good Configuration"?

Murray

chellenc68

chellenc68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it does it as soon as i turn on my computor...... i cant do anything else .no safe mode or anything.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you get POST?
Tap F8 as it boots to get in to safe mode.
Can you get into bios? Watch your screen and in the lower left corder it will tell you what key to use for bios.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

it does it as soon as i turn on my computor...... i cant do anything else .no safe mode or anything.

Okay.. Do you have an ordinary XP cd or just one of theose Recovery/Restore cd's that Dell, HP, Compaq, etc use?

What is the make and model of your computer?

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Do you get POST?
Tap F8 as it boots to get in to safe mode.
Can you get into bios? Watch your screen and in the lower left corder it will tell you what key to use for bios.

123runner:

It has to be going through POST or they wouldn't be getting that error message.

Also, if you read their second post, they can't get into Safe Mode either.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 09 June 2007 - 12:55 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

It has to be going through POST or they wouldn't be getting that error message.

Also, if you read their second post, they can't get into Safe Mode either.

Murray

I was trying to clarify. In my opinion, they were not clear. "It happens as soon as I turn it on" indicates NO POST. You are correct in that he would not get the error message. So what is the problem? Just looking for furthur clarification so we aren't steered down the wrong path.

I wanted him/her to try bios to see if the HD was present. I have had that type of problem. No HD, hence no OS.

chellenc68

chellenc68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it is a dell latitude laptop. My husband bought it used about 4 months ago and we did not have any problems with it until now. There was no recovery cd. i have a compac desktop that is doing the same thing. It also came with no recovery cd. it was my husbands, it bought it new a few years ago. they both are windows xp and both give the same error messages and both went down after doing a virus scan ( if that helps any ). Is there any hope?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
My first suggestion would be to contact Dell and Compaq and have them send you the proper recover cd's for each system.

Until then, try booting into BIOS and doing an auto detect on the IDE ports. Lets make sure the drives are being detected.

Murray

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Excuse me while I jump in and make a comment here.

If it is a dell and bought after October of 2004 do not reinstall with the Operating System cd you can reinstall with a built in feature on the hard drive.

If you have data you need to save on your computer then you will need the Operating system CD.

natedogg000

natedogg000

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm actually having a very similar problem with an older Gateway laptop right now. I've tried reformatting a number of times but still keep getting the same, "Error loading operating system" message. Would a floppy "boot disk" solve my problems or not???

Thanks for any help offered............

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi natedogg000...

Similar symptoms may be caused by completely different problems. To avoid any confusion to chellenc68 with their problem, please start a topic of your own and describe your problem in as much detail as possible. Someone will be along to help with it.

Thank you for understanding...

wannabe1