Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you feel?

• Please log in to reply

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
been thinking about getting an nVidia 8800GTX, but with the meltdown of the current drivers for it, i really dont know. if i get it now, i have an awesome video card, but shaky drivers. if i wait, i would have the same card, better drivers, and it would prolly be cheaper.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The drivers aren't that bad for it anymore. They are slowly improving. XP they are great, vista they are ok, with slight performance losses.
You can always wait and there will be lower prices around the corner or a better card that you'll wait again to fall in price just to want the next best thing after that card.
There isn't going to be anythinb better in the forseeable future, you won't see and drops in prices till probably november so this is as good of a time as ever to upgrade.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 June 2007 - 12:37 PM.

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i would say july actually. with ati releasing the HD2900 or w/e its called, nVidia will have to step up and release yet another over the top card. and, yes, i need it for vista.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ATI released the HD2900XT last month. There will be a new 1GB DDR4 model coming at the end of the month but it won't beat the GTX in performance.
James

fortune82

fortune82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
its only a matter of time.......:whistling:

thnx for the insight

Edited by fortune82, 09 June 2007 - 12:51 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No problem, just want to add I can't guarrentee that it won't beat it in performance, but it's based on the same GPU so chances are slim to none that it'll beat the GTX without overclock as memory only helps for ultra high resolutions and really high AA.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 June 2007 - 12:59 PM.