Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange monitor screen burn issue

• Please log in to reply

cueshot

cueshot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

A strange thing just happened with one of my monitors today. I was using it when suddenly I noticed that the screen had somehow been burnt. What I mean by that is a "ghost" or embossed image of one of the applications I had open has been burnt into the monitor screen. Interestingly, the desktop icons on my desktop was also burnt into the screen as well. This is similar to what you might see with old monitors years ago after they sit for very long periods of time with text on the screen. A "ghost" image of the text would eventually burn into the screen. I guess that could happen to new monitors, too, but I was doing stuff when it this happened. Some of what I was doing did involve taking screen captures (using Print Screen and Alt + Print Screen). What could've caused this to happen suddenly on a newer LCD monitor? Is the monitor just going bad? I've only had the monitor a couple of years, and I bought it brand new. It's a Sceptre 19'' LCD monitor running at 60Hz scan and 1280x1024 resolution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rob

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Screen burn-in is rare these days thanks to the advancing of technology but its still possible for it to happen. It may not even be burn-in but a side effect of how the monitors work though people do mistake it for burn-in. See http://en.wikipedia....hosphor_burn-in if you will.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I think it's physically impossible for an LCD monitor to suffer burn-in, but then again I can't think of any software issue that would cause it. Any other changes you can report before it started?

P.S. Welcome to Geeks to Go! :whistling:

cueshot

cueshot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

P.S. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Thanks! :whistling:

I think it's physically impossible for an LCD monitor to suffer burn-in, but then again I can't think of any software issue that would cause it. Any other changes you can report before it started?

I did not notice any changes or odd things happening before this occurred. I was working, and suddenly, it was there.

I would tend to agree that this probably would not have been caused by software, unless maybe it was a glitch in the video drivers, but that still may not be possible. In context of hardware, I can only think that it could've been a glitch from the video card or a glitch in the functionality of the monitor itself. However, I did look at the link Neil provided, and I believe the last paragraph in the "Causes of burn-in" section describes what most likely happened. Thanks, Neil!

I did turn the monitor off overnight. This morning I turn it back on, and I see the "ghost" image is all gone except for this one line or bar that is positioned about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen, stretches all the way across the width of the screen, and is about 15 or 20 pixels in height. Hopefully, that will eventually go away, too. It seems I can only see it, though, on a dark gray background. So, I think I'm okay now.

Thanks again for the replies!