Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply

sannie

sannie

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
My friend's computer just won't boot up at all - but it worked perfectly last night.

He tried to start it this morning and it won't even come on.

Any idea what happened and how I can get it to start again??

Thanks so much.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you mean by "He tried to start it this morning and it won't even come on"?. is the computer performing POST test and it fails to download windows? Do your hear the fans spinning but the monitor doesn't show any sign? Please give us more details about the nature of the problem.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Well, he tried to start the computer and it doesn't start AT ALL.
No response whatsoever.
No fan noise, no nothing.

It's not unplugged from a power source or anything, I checked that.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
have you checked any circuit breakers on your fuse box in your house to see if any are tripped?

macko01

macko01

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
if you open the computer casing and make sure that there is no ribbons or plugs touching the motherboard !!!

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

have you checked any circuit breakers on your fuse box in your house to see if any are tripped?

I don't think that is a problem, because there are other things connected to a power strip and they're all working.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

if you open the computer casing and make sure that there is no ribbons or plugs touching the motherboard !!!

I'll check that. Thank you.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

I'll check that. Thank you.

Mh, I opened the case and cleaned up some dust, but that didn't do anything.
I also don't think that anything is touching the motherboard.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
replace the cmos battery take the cover off and follow the wires from the on off button to where they plug into the mobo.

Edited by krmooo, 09 June 2007 - 06:44 PM.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

replace the cmos battery

I am sorry for the stupid question, but what/where is the cmos battery?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
its about the size of a quarter shiney looks like a over sized watch battery

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

its about the size of a quarter shiney looks like a over sized watch battery

i tried that with a battery from a different computer... does not make a difference.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please verify that the power supply fan is turning. Are there any lights on the motherboard? That would indicate power to the board. Can you verify yes/no that the case fans are on/ or off.
Based on the info you have given, it sounds like a power supply, or completely dead cmos battery, but, I have yet to see a battery keep a unit from starting.
Try plugging the power cable in to another outlet. You could have a bad outlet on the strip, or a bad power cable to the supply.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well im thinking your down to looking for another power supply unit or, it might be the on off switch. is this a desktop? the reason i ask that is its easier to follow those wires to the mobo. you could always by pass the switch

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Please verify that the power supply fan is turning. Are there any lights on the motherboard? That would indicate power to the board. Can you verify yes/no that the case fans are on/ or off.
Based on the info you have given, it sounds like a power supply, or completely dead cmos battery, but, I have yet to see a battery keep a unit from starting.
Try plugging the power cable in to another outlet. You could have a bad outlet on the strip, or a bad power cable to the supply.

There is no fan turning and no lights on the motherboard.

I tried another outlet. Nothing.

Power cable is ok, because I tried it on a different computer.