Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

well im thinking your down to looking for another power supply unit or, it might be the on off switch. is this a desktop? the reason i ask that is its easier to follow those wires to the mobo. you could always by pass the switch

Yes, this is a desktop computer.

Where exactly is the power supply unit?
Could I use a power supply unit from another desktop?
I have a second computer tower here, which is old, but which works.
Would I be able to put that power supply unit in my computer??
Is that easy to do?

I am not too familiar with the "inside" of a computer, so easy, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated :whistling:

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
sannie im going to get a tech, one whos well versed in the hardware side of things ok?im not sure. but this might be a very tedious proceedure changing out a power supply on a forum.perhaps theres a web site with diagrams and illistrations on just what goes where. certain groups of wires go such and such a place an what not. i do not feel comfortable in this particular area offering ad vice. hands on now that a different story :blink: let me see if i can get you some help :whistling:

Edited by krmooo, 09 June 2007 - 07:42 PM.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

sannie im going to get a tech, one whos well versed in the hardware side of things ok?im not sure. but this might be a very tedious proceedure changing out a power supply on a forum.perhaps theres a web site with diagrams and illistrations on just what goes where. certain groups of wires go such and such a place an what not. i do not feel comfortable in this particular area offering ad vice. hands on now that a different story :blink: let me see if i can get you some help :whistling:

Thank you sooo much, krmooo!!!!
Your help is VERY MUCH appreciated. :help:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
please follow up on your topic. im not sure when a tech can respond but he will ok? thank you for being patient and visiting gtg.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

please follow up on your topic. im not sure when a tech can respond but he will ok? thank you for being patient and visiting gtg.

THANK YOU! :whistling:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Can you give us the make and model of the failed unit. Also the type, model, wattage of the power supply in that unit.
Also, the same items on the other unit you think has a power supply that might work.
Some PSU units might work, but when you get to Dell, HP, compaq, they are special supplies and are very difficult to get to match up.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok i linked your topic so he'll follow up. like i said just keep a eye out on your topic. cant say when he'll respond, within 24 hours im sure hope this helps

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Can you give us the make and model of the failed unit. Also the type, model, wattage of the power supply in that unit.
Also, the same items on the other unit you think has a power supply that might work.
Some PSU units might work, but when you get to Dell, HP, compaq, they are special supplies and are very difficult to get to match up.

The failed unit is a 550 monster e-maschine... about 5-6 years old. Model of the power supply unit: ISP 120SI
AC Input 100-120VAC 3a 50/60Hz

Unfortunately I can't say anything about the other unit, because it doesn't have a name on the case and the power supply unit is not visible with a sticker.

I don't know if that helps at all.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
changing out a PSU isn't very hard to do or time consuming either...BUT..the new power supply has to be equal to or higher wattage than whats in there already...
I don't have time right now but if you can wait a day I will go back thru this thread to make sure you actually need one...and if it sounds like you do I'll give you step by step instructions..on monday..

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Ok, please bear with me if it seems stupid that I haven't mentioned this before...

There is this little red "slider" on the power supply on the back of the computer.
I didn't notice it until I look at the back of the computer again today...
and well, it looked like I could move it... so I tried to move it and then all of a sudden the fan
came on and the computer started again.

I hope you know what "little red slider" I am talking about...
what is it and why did "moving" it make my computer start again?

No need to replace the power supply then, I guess. :whistling:

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That "little red slider" is to change the input of the PSU between 115vac and 230vac. I assume you are using 115vac and that "gremlins" moved it.
Even though it was as simple as moving a switch, that was, is difficult to trouble shoot because you do not expect it to be moved.

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for letting us know.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I agree... :whistling: .

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

That "little red slider" is to change the input of the PSU between 115vac and 230vac. I assume you are using 115vac and that "gremlins" moved it.
Even though it was as simple as moving a switch, that was, is difficult to trouble shoot because you do not expect it to be moved.

Yeah, I checked again... there is a little 115 on the right side of the slider and it was pushed all the way to the left... though I have NO IDEA how that could have happened over night, I am glad that it was an easy fix :whistling: