Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Internet Security 2007

• Please log in to reply

garfluver

garfluver

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi!

I just loaded Norton Internet Security 2007 on my computer (Windows XP) and now my computer keeps trying to dial up to internet. Happens about every 2 minutes or so. Is there some setting I need to change to keep this from happening? Right now I just cancel the dial up...if I'm near the computer and hear it. Otherwise I keep the computer turned off.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks. Garfluver

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Norton wants to check for updates. You should let it.
However it shouldn't be doing it every two minutes so you may have other malicious software on that computer.

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I don't mind it checking for updates...I just want it to do it when I'm choosing to be online:wacko: ...not when the update wants to get online. Would I just check off the "automatic live update"? Is that what's causing the mindless attempts to connect?

Thanks again for any help!

Garfluver

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Turn it off and see what happens.
Norton has been known in the past to be aggressively insistent on being able to go online for updates when it wants to so it may be nothing's changed.

garfluver

garfluver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Thanks Neil...that seems to have worked.

Garfluver