Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot up problem

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Im having a problem when booting up my computer. When I hit the power button the psu, video card, heatsink fan, and memory turn on but nothing happens. No beeps nothing on the screen appears, the fans just run. I also have a stick of corsair xms ram with the led lights that will show a yellow light in the middle for a few seconds then goes away. Ive tried pulling the battery and clearing the cmos still no response. All the parts in my computer are only a year old with no overclocking or tinkering. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Most of the time in these cases it is one of three things: video card, mobo, or RAM. It can be other things but it is not likely. I would begin with pulling out the video card and using the MOBOs intergrated graphics (if the MOBO has it). Also if you have more than one stick of RAM try booting up with one stick at a time. If you are still getting no video then follow through with this troubleshooting tree: PC Troubleshooting.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I already unplugged the gfx card and used only one stick of ram. I guess it's time for the troubleshooting guide. I'll keep you guys posted.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Ah hahah. I've just had this problem not long ago. I also have the xms corsair ram with the LED lights and same thing happened. I was completely stumped on this because all hardware seemed to start up fine (all fans, CD-rom, cd-burner, etc.). At first, seeing the LED's on ram go yellow then blackout, I thought ram had been gone bad. But after testing with diff, ram and seeing the same issue occur, I began testing other hardware, starting with the PSU. After purchasing a new PSU, my system started without any problem. I'm not an expert with PSU's and am unsure why the PSU would generate enough power to start peripherals but was not enough power to trigger the boot process? I'm not sure. Just know my system has ran perfectly since. Just an idea.

Edit: My system had ran fine for 2 years before this. The PSU unit in my case had already been replaced once, so the new PSU unit I bought and am currently running now was a bit more wattage.

Edited by GodSpeed005, 11 June 2007 - 10:32 AM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I know another who has the same problem with the same ram and he tested his power supply and it was just fine. So I don't know what the reason would be for his system to be doing this. I don't want to just buy random parts without testing to see if the previous ones work or not. My psu is antec tpII 550W and it can power up the 768mb 8800 gtx but for some reason the ram still lights yellow then goes blank. This led me to believe that it is not the psu. I am suspecting the ram, cpu, or mobo. Is there a way to test all of these components?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I am suspecting the RAM. Though once I had a simular no boot situation and the problem ended up being a power connector for LED lights on my case. The pins had came out of the connector. Unfortunatly in a no boot up situation the only way to test the parts is use the them with known working componants.

Inspect every connection closely. Test each stick of RAM at a time. Borrow some RAM from a friend if still no luck.

After that if you are still having problems try reseating your CPU heatsink.

Did you overclock your system?

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I tried my friends ram, which I know works. However, my comp still did not boot. I have not overclocked anything. I know the psu has enough power because it can power up my 8800 gtx. So far, I think that the psu and ram are ok. The only stuff left to test is the mobo and cpu. I will try reseating the heatsink after I buy some of that thermal compound. Also, is there a way to test the cpu or mobo to see if it works properly?

Edited by cheema, 12 June 2007 - 12:12 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Usually when it gets to the point where you know that it is either the mobo or CPU it is best to just replace the board. In non-overclocked systems CPUs don't often fail unless they ran for an extended period of time under extreme heat, which would be from a poorly mounted cooler or bad application of termal grease. When you remount your CPU take a good look to see if it was done right the first time. MOBOs are usually a bit cheaper to replace than the CPU also.

Edit: "Unfortunatly in a no boot up situation the only way to test the parts is use the them with known working componants."

I think you may have missed that in my previous post.

Edited by Titan8990, 12 June 2007 - 02:04 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The cpu was seated properly and there were no physical signs of damage to it. I am going to replace the board. Since my cpu is amd 64 x2 4400+ I need a board with socket 939 because my cpu won't fit in an am2 socket. Therefore, are there any good boards that you can link me to? My previous mobo was k8n neo4 platinum (non-sli). Would it be a bad idea to get the same board again?

I was looking at this board but and definitely open to suggestions:

ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLi Motherboard
http://computers.pri...108659/details/

It is $90.27 shipped. My only question is that do i really need this board or can I just go cheaper and still be fine. I probably won't use sli and won't be overclocking any time soon.

Edited by cheema, 12 June 2007 - 04:32 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
this is another one I am looking at. It seems very close to my old one. My old mobo was neo4 platinum and this one is neo4-F. What is the difference?

MSI K8N Neo4-F nForce4 Socket 939 ATX Motherboard - K8N NEO4F
http://www.buy.com/p...1/10403758.html

It comes shipped for $74.99

P.S. I tried my ram in my friends computer and it works. So it is definitely down to mobo.

Edited by cheema, 12 June 2007 - 11:35 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
so which mobo do you guys recommend? Or do you have another mobo in mind that I should look at/buy?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm not a big fan of MSI but I think that board you have selected will be your best bet. Having socket 939 really limits your options. I don't think anything better would be worth your investment. That board will have the same compatability as your old board so it is really a good choice. I'm not 100% sure but I think the main difference between the neo4-f and the neo4 plat is that the platinum has a firewire port.

I would like to hear about your results. Sorry about the delay.

pers

pers

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Good to see you back :whistling: :blink:

I have the same problem with my new build, i didn't get around to fixing it yet. I think it's my 650i MoBo that's also not working...

Write back once you replace your MoBo, maybe it's what i should do.

:help: