Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The different VNC's

• Please log in to reply

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,
Just to be clear i have 2 pc's with 2 seperate keyboards, monitors and mice. My pc is connected to the internet with a modem. My sisters pc has a wireless card to access the wireless signal my router sends out to use the net.

I have 2 computers in my household and one of them has a tv tuner (lets you watch tv on pc) I would like to connect the computers together so i can watch tv on both pc's by just using one tv tuner.

I heard using vnc /tight vnc / ultra vnc/rdc will make this possible but im not sure which one is best.

The pc that has the tv-tuner is my little sisters and i would also like to monitor which websites she is accessing (shes too smart for parental controls) so I hope the vnc software will help me in that area too.

Please advise me on which course of action to take.

If you have any other suggestion please feel free to advise me

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
vnc is a remote control software for computer sharing. WHen you have it installed and running on another system, you just launch the viewer and connect to that system. It allows you to work on that system has if you were sitting in front of it. It allows full keyboard, mouse and monitor control.

It does not allow sound from the original system to be heard on your syste.

Tight VNC and Real VNC are the two primary versions. VNC is completely free, so do not buy any versions that wants to charge you money.

RDP also known as Remote Desktop Protocol. This is available windows xp pro, Windows Server 2000 and greater. Similar functions as vnc, but also allows sound to be transmitted with it (although at lower quality).

tWiStEdArRow

tWiStEdArRow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
What about this program i heard about called synergy will that work??

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I guess it would, however both tightvnc and realvnc ARE FREE, Mature software. Been around for a long time. They are both used heavily in many corporate environments.