The drive is about 2 years old, it has been working PERFECTLY for almost all those 2 years. It would read normal CD's and DVD's, it would write both CD's and DVD's, it would play movies and games. A few months ago, I'd say 4 months, I reformatted the HDD's because I was having issues with some of my programs shutting themselves down, and the computer being totally unresponsive (screen went black, monitor turned off, and computer just sat there not responding, until restart). I also figured that it was some for a clean wipe and a fresh start. After the reformat, everything was going fine for about 2-2 1/2 months. About 1-1 1/2 months ago the drive started acting up. It would sometimes not read the DVD I had in it, and after a restart or 2 of the computer it would be fixed and would read the DVD. Now for the past 1 or 2, the drive doesn't read, let alone write, any type of CD or DVD (unburnt, burnt, software, or movie). It does read the CD/DVD, but it's a rarity. I can eject and close the drive 20 times, and it won't read, I can restart the computer 20 times and it still won't read. I can then eject and close, and this time it'll read; but if I eject and close it again right after it read the CD/DVD it won't work again. I have tried just about everything I've read on this and other forums.
- Deleted/uninstalled the drive, restarted windows and let windows reinstall the drive.
- Deleted/uninstalled the Secondary IDE Channel, restarted windows and let windows reinstall it and the drive.
- Deleted/uninstalled the drive first then the Secondary IDE Channel, restarted windows and let windows reinstall them both.
- Deleted the upper and lower filters.
- Updated the firmware. (It was already at the current upate)
- Tried "sfc /scannow", but it required me to run XP CD and since the drive doesn't work I couldn't run that.
- Ran Rootkit Revealer.
- Ran Autofix.
- Run "chkdsk /r /x". (About to try that)
- Put the drive in another computer (Going to try that later today)
- Used a lense cleaning CD.
I have run a-squared, spybot search & destroy, and adaware. All clean, and no viruses.
Here are all the logs I can think of.