Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question Regarding Drivers

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
I am going to reformat my computer and install XP Pro onto it. Recently, I was told that before I start, I should download all of the latest drivers and burn them on a disc. I have a few questions regarding this:

1. What does he mean by drivers?

2. Are these drivers free to download and what site should I download them at?

3. What are the best drivers and which ones should I choose?

4. When, during my instalation of XP Pro, should I install these drivers?

If anyone can answer these questions, please reply.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mostly hardware installed on or to your PC, graphics and sound installed on, printer, scanner installed to, require drivers, you should have discs for these which will include the drivers and any other software needed to make them run. If you do not have the discs, post what is installed on and what you need to install to your PC so that someone can show you where to find them. Generally, you will be able to get most drivers from manufacturers site, along with the additional software, however, some sites are not legally able to provide downloads for bundled software so make sure you can get everything you need

You can use this to get a list of evrything on your PC

Everest Home

Double click the desktop icon then click + next to computer then click summary