Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

bluntknife

bluntknife

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
anyone know if any of these three cards will run Battlefield 2 and if so which one you would surgest i buy

choice 1 = http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/119712
choice 2 = http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/111197
choice 3 = http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/119699

a swift reply would be greatly appceiated

thanks in advance

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
The BattleField 2 minimum spec show a GeForce 4 and above, the recommended specs show
Intel P4 2.2 GHz / AMD Athlon 2200+
1 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6100+ / ATI Radeon 9500+ video card
(Note: At the time of release, Windows Vista is not compatible with ATI-based video cards with Radeon 9250 chipsets and below, in addition to NVIDIA-based video cards with GeForce 5000 series chipsets and below. ATI Radeon 9200 and 9250 PCI and NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX cards not supported. By extension, the game is not compatible with these chipsets on Windows Vista machines.)
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card:
so any of those cards exceed the recommended specs for the game. As far as which to buy, I the only recommendation I can give is that I usually steer away from the LT versions because they usually offer lower performance than the other versions.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you can spend a little more I suggest this card,
it's a bit more but you'll have playable frame rates.
http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/110045

I compared it to the battlefield 2142 which has more or less the same graphics engine.
The 7300GS received 14 FPS
The 7600GS received 28 FPS

Playable frame rates are considered 24 FPS and up for most people, this is the speed that you watch your movies at.
It's your call what you get.

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 10:15 AM.

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok thanks for advice, i may invest in the card you surgested james, but im considing going for one of the cheap cards i mentioned before as over the next couple of months i am considering saving and building a mediam gaming rig,

thanks again for your input.

ps

i will probaly go for this card out of the three - http://www.ebuyer.co.../product/119699 because it is a little cheaper and can run games such as obliviona nd BF2142(from the cards reviews)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 7600 is the sweet spot for budget graphics cards. The reason why I say this is because even though the cards you mentioned can play the game, the minimum FPS will drop and cause the game to become a slideshow.
Here I'll give you a link with benchmarks that is constantly updated, keep in mind though you'll probably get a little below what they are mentioning as they have a high end quad core instead of your P4.

http://www23.tomshar...m/graphics.html
Once you go there, choose the video card you prefer, then chose the benchmark, in your case battlefield 2142 or oblivion.

Note: With this card you'll be playing on low-medium, they benchmark the games on high, I personally don't think that you should play BF2142 on a 7300 series card. But thats my personal opinion and you can choose to do whatever you like.

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 12:33 PM.

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
The main reason i won't the card is to play battlefield 2 with friends. Thanks for the link and they advice may see if i could streach my budget to the cost of the 7600 card you surgested.

many thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No problem, though what kind of PSU do you have?
James

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i currently have a 25ow but im buying a 400-450 (cant remember which one) from a friend for tenner

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
right, I remember you, dude you've got a Dell :whistling:

Be sure it has the right dimensions and isn't a bad PSU that came with a case.
Also on your next build you probably going to want a PSU that'll around 550-600W. So the 450W PSU your thinking about buying probably won't be enough or just barely making it for your new rig, thought I ought to bring it up.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 03:13 PM.

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yes i have a dell, i admit it :whistling:

i have no idea what the psu like but im told it quite good, my friend preety good if it not sork/fit he would refund my money

(the gameing rig is only going to be a mediam one because i cant afford to spend a fortune, and i will take you advice on board about the PSu wattage)

Edited by bluntknife, 10 June 2007 - 03:15 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Even a medium gaming rig should have no less then 550W.
James

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i suppose you are right

(is a 400w PSU good enough to power my PC and the 7600gs graphics card?)

Edited by bluntknife, 10 June 2007 - 04:08 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes it will be.
James

bluntknife

bluntknife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok thanks for your help, this has been like a conversation on something like MSN lol

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
Just want to add something here, find a PSU that will fit before you purchase the card. While the 7600GS only draws something around 35-40W, it might be to much for you low watted PSU. So if the 400W PSU doesn't fit, you'll be suck with a computer that can't perform.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 June 2007 - 02:37 PM.