Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not soft-boot, must hard boot

• Please log in to reply

kram12085

kram12085

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
This is a relatively new system as I reformatted and reinstalled everything about a month ago. Anytime of soft reset with ctrl-alt-del or "restart" results in the error message "Invalid system disk". I have to manually turn the computer off and on again for it to boot correctly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This'll be a drive issue because it sounds like its not powering up in time for the computer to see it on a soft reboot, whereas if you kill the power the drive resets itself and spins up in time because the POST is longer.

kram12085

kram12085

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the insight, I never thought of this being an issue (I was thinking of reinstalling Windows). This makes sense too because this is a new drive.

Is there any solution? Or is it an inherent hardware issue that I will have to deal with (sounds like the computer is too fast for it's own good!)?
Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
New drives spin up so fast now that the length of POST normally isn't an issue, POST should normally wait for the drive to catch up.

You may find options in the BIOS to tell it to wait so long for the drive to catch up before the computer starts to look at the drives but this may not solve the issue. Change the data cable first. If the drive is under warranty send it back, it shouldn't be doing that anyway.

kram12085

kram12085

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I thought I should post a follow up even though I feel kind of dumb :whistling:

The problem was boot order, I had USB higher than HD and I think it tried to boot from all that junk I have plugged into my USB drives. But thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction!