Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No windows xp pro firewall log?

• Please log in to reply

MagicMantis

MagicMantis

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I'm still having troubles with my computer and no one has helped me on this forum yet. My trouble hasn't been severe and I can still work but weird stuff is definitely going on. Now the latest problem is while typing the numbers 4 and 6 will show up on random, rare occasions. My multi-media is still all jacked up and goes in and out of a slow-motion gargled state. I am actually going through GeekU right now and while studying up on firewalls I decided to read my pfirewall.log. I am running Windows XP Pro and well the problem is, is that THERE IS NO pfirewall.log file on my computer. I tried looking up a
step x step on MS website and I have no 'firewall logging' tab under advanced settings for my network connections. So have I not set my firewall up to make logs? How do I activate them? Where can I find my log? I hope this is something simple that is just poorly documented but I can't find anything of relation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
on your internet connections settings however your connecting ethernet wireless etc when you open that and go to the advanced tab windows firewall shows up when you click the security logging settings it explains where the logs are saved whats being logged plus the size limits of the logs oh i just seen where that tab is missing on your settings sorry.

Edited by krmooo, 10 June 2007 - 01:29 PM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
you can determine your fire wall configurations and what unintended settings that may be interfering. open a command prompt and type sc query sharedaccess. to start the firewall driver, at the command prompt type sc query ipnat. if it isnt resolved then go to your policy settings by typing GPResult / v >gpresult.txt this should open up every policy that related to your firewall

MagicMantis

MagicMantis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Looks like everything is running fine. I'm not familiar with those commands so that was pretty interesting. I have a log now since I checked the boxes. I was under the impression that it would keep activity logs like event viewer does. I have a server on here so figured when I accessed my computer from another one it would record something like the server logs do. Thanks for the help. I'm wondering if I have some kind of physical problem such as a corrupt hard drive or motherboard with a short on it? I just find it hard to believe that someone would want to target me with such precision as subverting the kernel. But then again I have found RootKits and have no idea why or how they managed to get on my computer. RootKits have to be placed don't they? They don't just pop up from free roaming spyware do they? I appreciate your help and thanks for the new commands.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
:whistling: glad to be of help. i would advise a port monitoring program.rootkit i happen to be sold on black ice. heres a link for you for a program called rootkit revealer its also a handy little device. both of these programs run logs. rootkits are being bundled nowadays in malware and yes anyone and everyone is a potential target for rootkit invasion.its a faceless war for computer mainpulation,or destruction, depending on the programmer who wrote the code. if your interested in some good cyber reading go to certs web site. cert.org their frontline people in this battle. any way glad to be of some help good luck