Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unicode in Microsoft Works

• Please log in to reply

paolo

paolo

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am learning Greek and thought it would be good to make a table of Greek verbs as I go along. (There are quite a few tenses and irregular verbs, so it would be useful to have everything in one place rather than to hunt through my text book, dictionary or vocabulary book for everything).

So I opened Microsoft Works [MW] and set up the headers for my table. Using a plug-in for Firefox that allows me to type Greek directly rather than laboriously finding and selecting the Greek characters in Character Map, I typed in the Greek for "I am", copied it and pasted it into a cell and got... a string of question marks. Looking up "Unicode" in MW's help, it says that you can enter Unicode (suggesting you create the text you want in Character Map), but it seems that it doesn't work.

I see from http://www.e-ternals...nanos/share.htm that older versions of MW aren't compatible with Unicode, and on checking "About Microsoft Works", I see my version is from 2002. (It came pre-installed with my PC, which I bought last year.) Is there an upgrade I can get, preferably without having to shell out a small fortune for a new version?

Alternatively, is there a freeware spreadsheet program out there (I have no particular attachment to MW) that is Unicode-compatible?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OpenOffice might be able to do it, its a free download from http://www.openoffice.org.

paolo

paolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you - I've downloaded it and it does exactly what I need. It also has some very nice features that aren't in Excel or Microsoft Works.