Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geek, noun: 1. ...

• Please log in to reply

paolo

paolo

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK, I'm going to be really geeky here.

The dictionary definition given for "geek" at the top of each page is cute, but there is an error in the pronunciation:

geek ('gēk), noun.
1. Obsessive Computer User: somebody who enjoys or takes pride in using computers or other technology, often to what others consider an excessive degree
2. Someone with greater than normal computer skills.

The stress mark (') is used in dictionaries to show which syllable is stressed (eg, 'fēd-băk [for "feedback"]). Two things are wrong:

1. Pronunciation schemes that use the symbol "Ä“" to represent the "ee" sound (as in "geek") generally put the stress mark after the stressed syllable.
2. The symbol is not used when there is only one syllable, as it is redundant.

So I think the stress mark should be removed.

I say this as a regular contributor to Wiktionary (en.wiktionary.org), the free online dictionary and linguistic companion to Wikipedia. I enter a lot of the pronunciations there, among other things.

Edited by paolo, 10 June 2007 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Our current pronunciation is correct. According to Merriam-Webster, (ˈgēk) is the correct pronunciation of geek.

paolo

paolo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the feedback. That's interesting - I've never seen a dictionary that used stress marks on monosyllables. Ah well, there you go.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have seen variations of the pronounciation. The one used in the header is printed on the back of a t-shirt I got from Microsoft. :whistling: