Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

When is the time to buy?

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I know that every time something new and great comes out, there's something newer and greater just around the corner. But, with DDR3, more DX10 cards, 45nm CPUs, and other new technology is coming out, my question is: When do you think the sweet spot to buy is?

I am looking to get a good mid/high range gaming computer. I'm in no rush at all. However, I would like to get the computer around the winter holidays. Anything exciting to look forward to between now and then? Any reason I should buy sooner or later than that?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There never is a "sweet time" to buy. At some point you have to take the plunge and go with something. Whatever you buy will have been replaced with something faster, cheaper and more reliable a few months down the line. You'll be waiting forever otherwise.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
That's sort of what I already acknowledged. But there is a sweet spot, at least comparatively. For instance, if you went and bought the most expensive Pentium D the day before the Core 2 Duo's came out, you'd be smacking yourself.

I guess I should be a little more broad: Can I have a sort-of overview (or a link to one) of what new things to expect between now and the holidays, and what new things to expect shortly afterward. That way, if something revolutionary is coming out shortly after I plan on buying, I can know to wait a little bit.

Edited by stettybet0, 10 June 2007 - 04:49 PM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Keep an eye out for these types of informative sites. With the latest news available. http://www.pcworld.com/news/

Edited by MarkN, 10 June 2007 - 05:22 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Quads are coming out within the next month or so. There will be more P35 mobos out. A lot of price cuts, more video cards.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The holidays should be interesting this year with new quads from both Intel and AMD, also Nvidia will be bring out new graphica cards, honestly January probably will be the best time. But who wants to wait till January, I played the waiting game, it's not fun, things are said to be released then are delayed a long time, AMD is known for this latetly.
This can be looked as one of the joys of technology of one thing you hate, whatever way you want to look at it.
I enjoy new technologies surfacing all the time, I used to hate it because my hardware decreases in value, but you jsut have to make it fun and entertaining and a new reason to buy something new. :whistling:
James

P.S. Drumbum, just thought I ought to add, quads have been out since some time around November.

Edited by james_8970, 10 June 2007 - 09:47 PM.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I meant new Quads. I knew that they were out.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I think right now everybody is really waiting for ATI to release their midrange GPUs to see how they will perform in real life applications/games and what effect they will have on the price of nVidia's DX10 lineup. Most people are hoping that the 8800 GTS will drop in price when the X2600 is released, but we'll have to wait and see.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 8800GTS will not drop in price when they are released, if they do this won't be related to the mid range cards by released by ATI. The HD2900XT is designed to compete against the 8800GTS.
That aside there are rumors are circulating that Nvidia will be doing some minor price adjustments in the coming weeks, primarily due to the 1GB version of the HD2900XT that is to be released soon as well.
James

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can...after you decide what components you are going to use...get price alerts (by e-mail notification) from NEWEGG...TIGER DIRECT...CYBERGUYS...BUY.COM... ZIPZOOMFLY...you can save hundreds of dollars doing this if your not in a big hurry...some of the sales are only 24 hours so you have to check your mail and be ready tp buy right then..
you can also change your mind on some things ...