Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Half-Life 2 timing out issue

• Please log in to reply

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys,

I am a rabid fan of HL2. I have a feeling that this issue is ISP related and can't be fixed, but who knows--

Whenever I play MP HL2(be it DM, CS, or anything else), withOUT fail, every 7 minutes I time out. The game freezes and I have to rejoin. I can still chat to people thru STEAM, but the game hangs and I have to get out and rejoin. I am in Korea. When I was home in the states it didn't do this. Also, other games do not time out or hang.

Anyone else have these issues? Because it pisses me off that I will be leading in frag count then have to start at zero again. lol

I actually have to sit there and keep repinging the server to wait for it to boot my ghost. It's so annoying.

I'm here in the army, and we pay 40 bucks a month for a crappy DSL line(but it's all that's available), and there is, essentially, no customer service to be had--or if I attempt to talk to them, they don't understand me and I get frustrated.. lol. But in case you need to know the ISP is LG Dacom.

If you have any solutions or potential fixes, i'm all ears.

Centrino 1.6
1.5 GB DDR2 mem
ati x300 graphics... it works for the game at least.. lol

anything else you need to know, please ask! I appreciate you reading and trying to help!

-Kevin

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
First think i say to anyone with a CSS/HL2 problem, HAve you reinstalled?

I remember when i first got HL2 i had same issue and a reinstall fixed my prob.

kjlee2112

kjlee2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yep, i reinstalled it twice, actually...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
do a ping and tracert to the server you are playing on.

Go to Start, run, type in CMD. This opens a console window. Type in "ping" followed by server ip.

ping 192.168.1.1 (for example)

tracert 192.168.1.1

Ping shows you the response time to the server. If there are time outs then there are connectivity issues.

Tracert Determines the path taken to a destination. If there is a ping jump in time or a failure along the route then that will indicate potential issues. Feel free to post your results here so we can assist.