Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S.M.A.R.T.

• Please log in to reply

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no it doesn't

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

yes it is my boot drive

This is what was confusing me, admin! Up in the Everest report, you can see this:

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD800EB-00DJF0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76277 MB (54360 MB free)

So it's really weird...

blackula111:

no it doesn't

Does this mean that your computer doesn't recognise the hdd at all, or can't see the SMART info?

Edited by ruthandtroy, 11 June 2007 - 06:05 PM.

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
can't see smart and i cant run diag programs for that drive also another issue speedfan cant find the sensors unless i open everest first . i hope it done get wierder. i'm using that hard drive right now.

Edited by blackula111, 11 June 2007 - 06:58 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

If the drive has already failed catastrophically, the SMART status may be inaccessible

Quote from Wikipedia, check it out. It seems that a catastrophic failure is a possibility...

Do you have a genuine Windows CD? I think you should try this: (Quoting from wannabe1)

Boot to the cd again, only this time load Recovery Console by pressing R on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Choose the operating system you want to repair, usually 1. C:\WINDOWS, by number.

When prompted for the Administrator password, just press Enter...unless you have set a password.

When you get to the command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>), type chkdsk /r and press Enter (on some machines the check will begin at this point)

If you are told the drive is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot, type Y and press Enter

If, at this point or when this check completes, you find yourself back at the command prompt, type exit and press Enter to exit Recovery Console.

Reboot

This is a very long 5 stage check...let it finish. It may appear to hang or even back up at times...this is normal, be patient.

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
chkdsk showed no errors in all 5 areas

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I can't find the manufacturer and model of you motherboard; can you please advise? I think it might be necessary to update your BIOS.

So lets get this right so far: have you ever been able to see SMART data in the POST? Or only once you're in Windows using a program like Speedfan?

I have to admit, this does sound extremely weird. Try downloading this tool from Western Digital, and do an extended test. See what that says. I don't actually have a Western Digital hdd, so I can't test this program myself, though.

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the WD program shows my C; drive as a logical drive not a physical drive so i can't run it. yes i had S.M.A.R.T.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I can't find the manufacturer and model of you motherboard; can you please advise? I think it might be necessary to update your BIOS

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I swapped out the hard drive and i put it in a USB case and it crashed my computer. But the one i put is showing everything

-[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer RAY
Generator fry's
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2007-06-15
Time 14:41

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name RAY
User Name fry's

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV
System Memory 768 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (07/30/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive HDS728080PLAT20 (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 78528 MB (55623 MB free)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
After a quick search on the web, there are heaps of websites with the Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV chipset.

If you're having trouble identifying your motherboard, you could check on the POST test (usually one of the first things to come up, mine comes up straight away, so sometimes the monitor is not quick enough!). The other way is to manually check, turn computer off, remove side panel, and look for the writing. Just don't touch anything! Post back here what you find.

Advertisements

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I got the S.M.A.R.T. back when i switched my hard drive for a different one. The one i took out i put in a USB case
and it crashed my computer so do you think that hard drive was going out ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, I do think that's what the problem was. I hope your data was backed up...

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I had 2 backup hard drives :-) :-)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Very good to hear! That's one more than me... But I also burn it off to DVD's every now and again, you never know :whistling:

blackula111

blackula111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
:-) :-) Idid that last night and i also ran norton ghost, never can have too many backups :-) And thank you for your help i learned alot with this experience :-)