Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Drivers

• Please log in to reply

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hey,

Ive just bought a new motherboard and PSU, and im a little confused as to whether my Hard drive will work or will i have to do something with the drives. I bought my PC straight from Acer so didn't have to do anything about SATA drives but my mate says i might need to instal them, im not sure what to do.

Other question is if i get my hard drive working i will need to repair windows so it will work with my new mobo, can i do this with a different OS to what have, Windows Media Edition is installed on it at the mo but i didn't get the disk, so can i use my student version of windows XP to do this?

Cheers

Advertisements

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Sorry to bump but my parts are due any minute and i would like to get up and running asap :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi customcomp, lets have a look-see here...

Sorry to bump but my parts are due any minute and i would like to get up and running asap

Never a good idea, especially if staff are patrolling the forums looking for unanswered posts. I assume you do know this, though...

So you're purchasing a new motherboard and psu, and you're just going to change them over? You'll have to enable SATA in the BIOS, and then everything should work sweet.

Windows Media Edition is installed on it at the mo but i didn't get the disk, so can i use my student version of windows XP to do this

Why don't you have a disc? Are you talking about an XP cd of WME, a recovery cd, or both? You should have something... My guess is if you use your 'student version' (academic, right?), you should need to do a complete 'clean' install.

Once your hdd is working good, it's possible that Windows might start anyway, or it might not. I've had instances where Windows would not start at all, forcing a complete 'clean' install. I've also had other times when Windows started no problem, and as soon as it logged in, all the "Found New Hardware" popups started, and once I sorted all that out and deleted the old drivers, everything was sweet...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 11 June 2007 - 05:45 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Just install the disk and that's it. With modern motherboards you don't have to do anything. If, however, you have problems with recognizing the disk then see in the BIOS if SATA is enable.

Normally Windows will not allow a repair installation unless you have an installation disk of the same version like the one that is installed.

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
None of this was needed, booted first time. :whistling:

No reinstall, no driver issues no nothing :blink:

Cheers anways guys :help: