Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error Message Missing Operating System

• Please log in to reply

Despiste

Despiste

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Here is the thing:

I have a Compaq Presario V2415LA. Till yesterday, it was working just fine but today, when a turned on a message appeared on the screen and it got stucked in there. The message was "Missing Operating System". it runs xp home edition.

I tested the hard drive in the notebook using the HP hard drive self test, and all the tests pass and i restarted but the error still ocurrs.

Then i tried to repair the master boot record but every time that i insert the operating system disc nothing happens it wont prompt to boot from the cd.

I changed the listing in the bios so that the notebook read the cd rom first but nothing happend.

A lot of people have told me that this is a very common error in compaq presario notebooks.
what can i do?

Please help, im a writer and i need this notebook for my work.

Thank you

Edited by Despiste, 10 June 2007 - 05:07 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

every time that i insert the operating system disc nothing happens it wont prompt to boot from the cd

Do you have a genuine XP cd, or is it a recovery cd from Compaq?

Despiste

Despiste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The recovery cd from compaq

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Okay, to be able to do what you are trying to do, download this file and burn it to a cd. Take note it is a .iso file, if you don't know how to burn a .iso file, search google or write back and I can help you further on this. (Nero does it good).

Then, once you have done this, reboot with the cd in the drive and it brings you to the recovery console, where you can take up from where you left off last time.

If, however, the cd is not booting because your cd drive is faulty, then this won't work, you might need to grab another one...

Let us know how you go.
Cheers.

Despiste

Despiste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, thanks

im gonna try that out.

i will let you know what happens

thanks!!!

Despiste

Despiste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Crap...

it did not work.
But i know that the cd unit is working because i can hear it running just fine.

what more can i do?

Please help meeeeeee!!!!!

I need it for my writing!!!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

But i know that the cd unit is working because i can hear it running just fine.

Yes, you may be able to hear it, but it might be having problems with reading the data. This does sound like quite a pickle. Let me get someone with a bit more hardware expertise than myself, as I think this is the problem.

Hang tight! :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you really don't want to boot from the recovery cd unless you have all the data backed up...if you do boot from it...its going to wipe the drive and put it back to the day you bought it...
have you tried booting into safe mode...if you can ...try last known good configuration

Despiste

Despiste

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All the data that i need is backed up in several cd's, i really don't care to boot from the recovery disc.

I just want my lap back!

Thanks guys!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
then boot from the recovery cd and let it reinstall the operating system......