Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Computer Stuck In RESTART

• Please log in to reply

moofeet

moofeet

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yesterday while working on my computer something happened to where it was stuck on a process, or what not (the little sandclock just came up for no reason and would not go away after 5 minutes) ) , so I pressed the button on the tower to restart the computer. Now Windows will not Boot corectly.
Since then, when I startup my computer, a message comes up saying Windows could not startup normally. A list is given to bootup. Among the list is a 3 different safe modes, to startup on the last successful configuration, or to start windows normally. I have tried each and every one of these and nothing works. It starts up, then I get a quick flash of a blue screen, then back to the List of options.
Then it restarts again.
Is there anyway to save my computer???
Can Anyone PLEASE HELP???
Any Help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi moofeet,

Next time the option comes up choose Disable restart on system failure, Copy down the technical information from the blue screen error message and post here.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I saw in the bit you put in that other thread that you have your Windows XP CD. Follow the instructions in this guide: How-to Repair Windows XP.

Edit: If you are getting far enough to get a blue screen error then follow through with Tuxmaster.

Edited by Titan8990, 10 June 2007 - 05:59 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
LOL Titan I was thinking about sending you a pm to doublecheck the information/post.

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi moofeet,

Next time the option comes up choose Disable restart on system failure, Copy down the technical information from the blue screen error message and post here.

HI Tuxmaster,
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately, I don't not see the option to Disable Restart on system Failure.
The only options I see are:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last know good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
and
Start Windows Normally

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I saw in the bit you put in that other thread that you have your Windows XP CD. Follow the instructions in this guide: How-to Repair Windows XP.

Edit: If you are getting far enough to get a blue screen error then follow through with Tuxmaster.

Thank you Titan,
I am trying the steps now and will let you know what happens

Oh and Tuxmaster, the Blue screen flashes for just a split second. Theres no way to see what it states

Edited by moofeet, 10 June 2007 - 09:32 PM.

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hello Again Titan,
I followed the steps in the page but hit a bump. All the steps where going fine until the third part of step 4 (the third Blue Screen picture on the page)
My Blue Screen was different. It did not have the option to repair. This is what mine said:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SETUP

The Following list shows the exisiting partitions and unpartioned space in this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN arrow keys to select an item from the list.
To Set up Windows XP on the selected item, Press ENTER
To Crete a Partition in the Unpartioned space, press C
To delete the selected partion, press D

19070 MB disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition1 [UNKNOWN] 19069 MB (19069 MB free)
Unknown Disk
(There is no Disk in this drive)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your help

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
When you start up are you still getting the option page in which it asks you safe mode, last known config, etc? Do you have more than one harddrive?

As you can see it is showing an already formated drive with nothing on it.

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

When you start up are you still getting the option page in which it asks you safe mode, last known config, etc? Do you have more than one harddrive?

As you can see it is showing an already formated drive with nothing on it.

Wow...Thats Scary

Yes,
when I start up (which it does Non-Stop unless I unplug the computer), I am still getting the option page.

No I do not have more than one Hard Drive

Thats a really scary statement. I have lots and lots of important things to me that are on that computer :whistling:

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi moofeet,

TuxMaster,
I owe you an apology.

After reading that last response saying that my computer is saying there is nothing on my hard drive, I plugged in the computer again and started hitting F8 and I finally saw the option to Disable Restart on System Failure
Here is the Info that cam up afterward:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the First Time you've seen this Stop error screen,restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x827A7E30, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Once again Apologies, to you and Titan for not hitting F8 earlier

Hope this helps

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ya that is what i was afraid of.

Do you have your Operating System Disk?

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Ya that is what i was afraid of.

Do you have your Operating System Disk?

Yes I Do.

I tried searching for the answer to this on the internet and I referenced this page.

(I apologize for jumping ahead. I had insomnia and the computer problem was really irritating me. Sorry)

I followed step by step and did the chkdsk /r (which didnt work) then tried the fixboot command as stated on the page.

Now when I boot my computer, all that comes up is the black screen with the following:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

I hope I didn't screw things up further. Once again, I apologize. :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
No that is around egzactly what I would have told you to do you acculy saved time.

Now we need to fix the NTLDR missing error message.

Go ahead and follow these directions repeair a ntldr error message.

Repair NTLDR error message

If that does not work.

Try Rebuilding the boot sector

moofeet

moofeet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

No that is around egzactly what I would have told you to do you acculy saved time.

Now we need to fix the NTLDR missing error message.

Go ahead and follow these directions repeair a ntldr error message.

Repair NTLDR error message

If that does not work.

Try Rebuilding the boot sector

Well thats great to hear!!

As of Right now, for some reason the pages from the links aren't loading. I'll try later on this evening.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ok that is good to know that is it not just me that is having the issue with my own website. Time to contact my server support. Hopefuly it will be up soon.

It may be time to move my site AGAIN :whistling:

Edited by tuxmaster, 14 June 2007 - 06:47 PM.