Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Open Security Center

• Please log in to reply

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, I have searched the threads and have found similar topics about this but none of them are exactly like mine.

My system: Windows XP SP2

When I open my Control Panel and double click on the Security Center, I get a RUNDLL error message that says:

An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl",Security Center"

I already tried going to Start > Run> "eventvwr.msc" but there appears to be no log of this error in either the applications or the security section.

I really am not sure what to do here, can somebody help me out please?

Much Thanks,
Neil

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
in your administrative tools open the services, look for the security center service, make sure its started an set to automatic. if it is then ,we'll see if we can repair the corrupted registry file.

Edited by krmooo, 11 June 2007 - 03:15 AM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
when i typed the"C:\windows\system32\wscui.cpl",Security Center" in the data base from microsoft i was redirected to the lastest security updates for may 2007. you might want to get these lastest security patches if you havent already done so. make a note of the bulletin identifiers of all the patches downloaded. just in case they have to be reinstalled for whatever reason.

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the quick responses, guys

I checked my security center service and it is set to automatic and I believe I am all up to date with my security center. So whats the next step?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
have you tried using or making another account?to access this?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok start run and then type cmd. hit enter after each line. CD\ Windows\System32 enter then type Dir *.cpl /a /b >C:\CPLs.txt open the cpl txt in notepad. be aware according to the service pack level, yours is sp2 i believe. theres a chance it might not be in this folder. if thats the case look in these 2 registry places. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ MICROSOFT \ WINDOWS \ CURRENTVERSION \CONTROL PANEL \CPLS IF NOT THERE THEN USE THE HKEY_LOCAL USER \ hive with the above syntax. forgot :whistling: if its there delete it. we'll restore a new one :blink:

Edited by krmooo, 11 June 2007 - 04:57 PM.

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry, I am a little confused with what you typed. :whistling:
I can't figure out where I am supposed to put spaces or enter the text. Could you please break that info down for me instead of having it as one big block?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
http://windowsxp.mvp...centericons.htm <<< go here to down load the new icons

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok so I downloaded the application and did everything it told me to do, but I am still encountering the problem.
The application didn't seem to do much :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
did you restart the computer?

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i tried to make the commands as clear as i could guess it didnt work. where theres a space i put a space no quotation marks were needed when you get the command prompt its a black screen with C:\ documents and settings \ user name> enter the commands after the arrow

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I tried restarting, that didn't help.

Ok, I followed your previous instructions.
I tried the Windows Command Prompt and the Windows Registry methods you described and this is what happened:

From the command prompt I opened up a list of .cpl files in my NotePad, but i'm not sure what to do with them?

From the Windows registry, I found the folder you were talking about (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE\ MICROSOFT \ WINDOWS \ CURRENTVERSION \CONTROL PANEL \CPLS) but again, what am I looking for here? And what am I supposed to do?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
lets try the easiest way. click start run and type system32\dllcache. see if the wscui.cpl is even in there, then go to the system32 folder if its there delete it.i failed to mention the system32 dll cache is a hidden file.in explorer go to tools> folder options> view, check to show hidden files and folders

Edited by krmooo, 13 June 2007 - 09:48 PM.

RockStarNeil

RockStarNeil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I went to start > run > system32\dllcache it says Windows cannot find it.

I found wscui.cpl in C:\WINDOWS\system32
Do I delete that? (There is no dllcache folder in system32)

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
did you go to tools, folder options, view, check the show hidden files and folders just see if the file is in there do not delete it from the dllcache folder. if its there and ONLY if its there.. then delete it from the system32 folder

Edited by krmooo, 13 June 2007 - 10:09 PM.