Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Get Into Computer....

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
So my brother recently moved and he gave me his computer. But he neglected to tell me that he couldnt get into it. So I called him up and wouldnt you believe it, he doesnt ever remeber having that problem. So I asked him if anyone had installed anything on the computer or deleted something off. He didn't remeber that either. So I gave up trying to get answers out of him. I've found geekstogo helpful in the past so I thought I'd try another visit.

Here's the problem, when I turn on the computer, it starts up like it normally would, but then all of a sudden it goes to a blue screen and there is an error. I can just barely make out the error number sometimes before it resets itself. So I went into the BIOS to try and see if anyone had screwed with anything in there but everything seemed to be fine. I restarted and tried to boot up in safe mode. Still nothing, it just restarts over and over again, prompting my if I would like to start windows normally, boot up in safe mode/safe mode with networking/safe mode with comand prompt or do last known good configuration that works.

I've tried all of them and none of them seem to work. I know if I get into the computer I can turn off the restart on error. And the last few numbers of the error end in zero. Ive seen this error before but couldnt quite put my finger on where. It looked something like 0x0000000000000x23 or something to that extent. The 23 may be wrong at the end, but thats what it looked like. If anyone has some info on what I might be able to do to retrieve the error to better help you guys here, or how to get into the system, Im all ears.

Thanks for the Help,

Chris

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I'd probably try either fixmbr and fixboot via the recover console or just do a win xp repair install.

Repair Install Instructions

good luck

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
un plug any printers, ethernet cables speaker,etc. couple cans of air an give it a good cleaning.make sure cables video card, if there is one, memory,and sound card are in tight, ide cables are all tight an pluged in. clean all fans and be sure to lightly hold the blades so they dont spin out of control. if you have a windows xp cd put it in and switch the boot order in the bios to boot from cd first. if you can reset the bios to their default settings do that as well. test the memory if theres 3 sticks pull them out 1 at a time if you have a graphics card pull it out and use the onboard, located around where the mouse an keyboard an printer plug in's are. theres a start for you... report back.. :whistling:

totallyspecced

totallyspecced

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

So my brother recently moved and he gave me his computer. But he neglected to tell me that he couldnt get into it. So I called him up and wouldnt you believe it, he doesnt ever remeber having that problem. So I asked him if anyone had installed anything on the computer or deleted something off. He didn't remeber that either. So I gave up trying to get answers out of him. I've found geekstogo helpful in the past so I thought I'd try another visit.

Here's the problem, when I turn on the computer, it starts up like it normally would, but then all of a sudden it goes to a blue screen and there is an error. I can just barely make out the error number sometimes before it resets itself. So I went into the BIOS to try and see if anyone had screwed with anything in there but everything seemed to be fine. I restarted and tried to boot up in safe mode. Still nothing, it just restarts over and over again, prompting my if I would like to start windows normally, boot up in safe mode/safe mode with networking/safe mode with comand prompt or do last known good configuration that works.

I've tried all of them and none of them seem to work. I know if I get into the computer I can turn off the restart on error. And the last few numbers of the error end in zero. Ive seen this error before but couldnt quite put my finger on where. It looked something like 0x0000000000000x23 or something to that extent. The 23 may be wrong at the end, but thats what it looked like. If anyone has some info on what I might be able to do to retrieve the error to better help you guys here, or how to get into the system, Im all ears.

Thanks for the Help,

Chris

you may also want to try and run a chkdsk scan on your partition and use the /f integer to see if it will take away the BSOD screen.