Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Activation

• Please log in to reply

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here's something I've never run into before.
I had to reinstall XP on my brothers laptop last evening and then had to call Microsoft to get it re-activated. No problem with that, but, this morning after he had already logged on, the warning to activate Windows came up. I clicked okay to activate and then the windows has already been activated window came up so I hit okay on it. At that point the computer instantly went back to the login window and it's been that way ever since.
Here's part of the error log.
Windows Product Activation
error occured while the wizard was checking the current Windows product license
Error Code: 8.0x80070002 Event I.D. 1000

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you reinstalled xp... was it a recovery cd that came with the computer...have you tried rebooting...or safe mode..tell us everything you have tried and the results...

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This was a full reinstall that was done a month ago. My brother knows nothing about computers and he wouldn't let me activate Windows at that time so I had to wait until he got locked out. Everything was fine up until this morning. He logged in and all was going well. While checking his email, he got the window telling him to activate.
I have gone into the computer in safe-mode and checked for missing files, scanned for virus, adware, malware, and all of the rest. Nothing to be found in that area. I had to copy the alert log onto a floppy just to be able to look at it on my computer.
I'm not to sure about what else to do with this. Right now I'm looking up the error codes at microsoft ( what a joy )!
Safe mode, reboot both bring me the same result " must activate windows "
I did notice that his Windows updates are non existent as he must have turned it off somehow.
I haven't been able to do anything because I'm not sure what it is I should be looking for.
I'd hate to have to re-stall this all over again. :whistling:

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
so this was a reinstall from a non activated xp?

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It came pre-installed on his laptop. This is like the 3rd time that Ive had to reinstall this for him. Never had an activation problem before. As stated earlier, microsoft activated Windows last night and things were fine until this morning.
He was checking his mail and surfing when the activation window came up again. Tried to re-activate and it says already activated but it will not let him or me log in.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
iif this was a factory installed recovery cd there wont be a need to re activate as long as there wasnt any hardware changes. it will continued to be activated an im surprised you were ask to do that. in other words as long as their isnt any hard ware changes it never un activates. im talking strictly about oem re installs with the oem cd recovery cd.heres the number to activate or you can reinstall 1(800) 936-5700 of course if you reinstall it there will be a phone number, if, for some reason the activation process messes up

Edited by krmooo, 11 June 2007 - 08:06 AM.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
after you get this finished come back and we'll do a sys rep deployment for activation but only with the oem cd

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Apparently some of the activation files are corrupted, according to MS, so now I get to go and play in the registry for a while. I'll let you know how this turns out if I don't go psychotic first! Luckily, XP registries and myself are good friends so this should be no problem, unless I decide to get drunk first!
Thanks for the assistance and I'll see you all later on, I hope. :whistling:
I like these smileys, wish Yahoo IM had some of them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might want to do this if you have to reinstall on a regular basis...

Self-reactivation of Windows XP

If you haven't backed up your Windows XP system, or haven't created a master image that you can restore in the event of an irrecoverable system failure, and you haven't made any changes to the hardware that would invalidate the old activation code and make it necessary to reactivate Windows XP, you can store the two files that contain the Windows Product Activation (WPA) data on a floppy disk, and copy them to the system after reinstalling Windows so that no activation is required from Microsoft's site or by telephone.

The two files are called Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak. And they're located in the C:\Windows\system32 folder (if Windows is installed to its default Windows folder and not to a folder with a different name of the user's choosing).

You should reinstall Windows XP. During the process, you should refuse the option to "Activate now". You should then restart the computer and press the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then choose to boot into Minimal Safe Mode. You can then open My Computer, click on the A: drive and copy the two files on the floppy disk to the C:\Windows\system32 folder.

Note well that you should not do this if you have made changes to the system's hardware that would require Windows XP to be reactivated on the web or by obtaining the new code from Microsoft over the telephone.

The two files contain a description of the system's hardware and the activation code that Microsoft generated from its site or provided by telephone, both of which are encrypted. At each system startup, Windows XP decrypts (unencrypts) the description and checks to make sure that the hardware matches the recorded description. The details that are recorded include the serial numbers of the hard disk drive(s), and the MAC address that every Ethernet network card has. A user therefore cannot copy the two activation files from a system that has the same hardware, because although the make and models of the hardware are the same, the identification numbers are different.

A newly installed copy of Windows XP allows its user to activate it automatically from Microsoft's site without having to obtain the activation code from Microsoft over the telephone. But if you attempt to reactivate the same copy of Windows XP within 120 days, you have to obtain the activation code over the telephone.

To do that you need to know what the Windows XP product key (also known as the CD key) is. It should be recorded on the licence sticker that is provided with with the Windows CD, which its user is supposed to stick on the computer's case. If this has been lost then get everest home here and click on operating system...find the key code and write it down EXACTLY AS SHOWN

Edited by happyrck, 11 June 2007 - 09:06 AM.

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am very aware of having a backup of my computer. Brothers is a different story though. I did have the 2 files on a floppy for his laptop and I did put them back in the way that you suggested. I found that floppy just a while ago but even after putting it back in, it still wanted me to activate his windows so I am assuming that the files were messed up to start with.
Personally, I think that he would do better to go and buy another laptop. He got this one at one of those cheap computer flea markets and it's been a pain almost from day one. It's a Micron and under any other circumstances, I'd say its the operators fault. It very well may be as he's gone through at least 3 or 4 different PC's and laptops in the past 2 years.
He won't learn how to do anything because I'm always around to bring his mess back from the dead!
I'll let you know later how this goes or whether I've shot the laptop to death.
See Ya!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I'll let you know later how this goes or whether I've shot the laptop to death.

make sure you have ALL the other computers in the window watching you do this with a warning about what happens to misbehaving computers... :whistling:

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:whistling: