Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CDROM stopped working

• Please log in to reply

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

I've got a proplem witth my CDROM drive. When PC starts, everything is fine, I read a CD and no problem. Then suddenly the drive stops working, I cannot eject it and the only LED on the drive keeps glowing red. What's more, after that the computer freezes every minute for about five seconds. I tried to access the Device Manager, but it takes very long to load and when I right-click on the CDROM/DVD-ROM entry to check the Properties panel, the whole thing just hangs.

Please, does anybody possible know what might be going on? Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try to burn some files recently...do you use any packet writing programs like INCD..

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I have seen this when the disc has an unreadable/bad .inf file on it. What type of disc are you putting into your CD-Rom when this problem occurs? Does the CD-Rom tray eventually open after a few minutes?

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for your responses.

I burnt some stuff recently using Nero 5. I never had problems with this software. I did however install Sony ImageMixer v1.5, which is shipped with some of their own burning lot, so I'll try to uninstall that.

The CD-ROM drive went away on its own, I didn't insert any CD, nor did I touch it or accessed it in any way. I remember putting a CD my friend burnt a week ago and it couldn't read it (the drive made sounds and the Explorer hangs when I double-click CD-ROM in "My Computer"). I had no problems reading the CD on another notebook, is it possible that there was something wrong with my computer's CD-ROM drive and that the "corrupted" CD has just made things worse?

By the way, I rebooted and the CD-ROM drive doesn't show up in "My Computer" at all now.

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Alright first off:
1. How old is this system?
2. Any peripherals changed out since system was built/bought?
3. When did this problem start occurring?
4. Do you remember what exactly you were doing when you noticed this problem?

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
1. Last Windows (XP Home) reinstall exactly a year ago. If you mean the computer itself, it was bought 2002.
2. No. The latest piece of hardware added is a D-Link DSL-584T Router/Modem/Whatever, but the hardware inside the PC case is unchanged.
3. Yesterday I put a self-made VCD of The War of the Worlds, which I left in the drive. Next day, the problem occured as described (all of a sudden, no drive response, red LED ...)
4. I was working in Opera whilst doing something in Photoshop as well. RAM and CPU usage normal.

Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like the drive is dead or dieing

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
What brand/model of CD/DVD drive is this?

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I've got no idea what model it is, only that it's got a Fujitsu Siemens brand written on it and it's a DVD/CD-RW Combi.

By the way, I entered Safe Mode today to revert to an earlier Recovery Point and no success. Tried removing the drivers and reinstalling them, no success. Retrieved a backup copy of those drivers from a safe clean Windows installation and no success. I guess this is really a hardware-type problem... :whistling:

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi again,

sooo, I disconnected the drive and left it like that for few days. Connected it again and it worked for about 40 minutes and then the same problems happened. Dismantled the drive, cleaned the lens and the whole case and what not, assembled, connected up but the problem remained with unchanged symptoms.

My friend told me it could be a firmware problem, so I wrote down the model of the drive, which is Fujitsu Siemens CDD5101/34 , 5VO1211DS02236, otherwise also known as DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo 16x/10x. However, I got no good relevant results, no matter how original I tried to be.

Please, does anybody know where I should turn to when pursuing a firmware update?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you borrow a (known good) cd drive from your friend and try it in your computer...if it works without any problems ..its your drive that has to be replaced...if it has problems too ...then we will know its either the cable itself or the ide controler on the motherboard...or a IRQ conflict ...

Hai Mac

Hai Mac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

thanks for your reply and patience, sorry it took me some time to find a known good friend that would lend me a known good cdrom :whistling:. The new drive works fine, so the culprit is probably my old dying drive, if I understand it correctly...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...replace the drive

known good friend

... these are good to have... :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 20 June 2007 - 06:20 AM.