Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Networking Issues

• Please log in to reply

NateLehrke

NateLehrke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Set-Up:

Comcast Cable modem ----> LINKSYS SWITCH ----> 4 ethernet cords to wall jacks ---> ethernet cord from the wall jack to computer.

I just installed this tonight. I wired each wall jack and cut the ethernet cords and attached the ends to save money. In each room I am able to get online just fine but, when it comes to using AIM, MSN or any other chat software, I get refused by the host or I'm told that I'm not onine.

Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong or needs alteration?
Is it possible that I wired the 8 wires incorrectly & this is the result?

Advertisements

fellowplanetdweller

fellowplanetdweller

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Anything's possible. You may not be using the correct wiring pattern for your ethernet cables. If you get that part incorrect, you will lose alot of bandwidth if your network cables are very long.

Are you sure you have a Linksys switch and not a router? I have experienced similar problems to what you are, when clients had varying models of Linksys or D-Link routers because of how AOL / AIM does network ports.

As a good overview of ethernet, I recommend checking out the table of contents at
How Stuff Works : Ethernet

Hope that helps,

fellowplanetdweller