Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This time, computer restarts by itself and more

• Please log in to reply

nikki05

nikki05

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
For those who remember my old topic about the computer, I have taken it to the store and it has been fixed. The monitor was the problem. We got a new monitor and it works but when turning it off, it says "VGA Signal not found" and "DVI signal not found". That was no big deal until it started restarting by itself. The other day I was in the middle of doing work, and it all of a sudden went to a black screen that said "VGA signal not found", then restarted. I read through the posts today, and I went and unchecked automatically restart under the systems and recovery option. I also followed the instructions and found out that under command prompt it said :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>sc query EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

once again....I have no idea of what's going on. I was thinking about taking it in again, since the guy at Computech said it was the computer still, but I decided to see what you ladies and fellas had to say first. :whistling:

I forgot to mention this, but also the cord that comes plugged up to the monitor and the other side that has to be placed into the computer..were both missing the little things (prongs i believe). They both were missing like 2 of them.

Edited by nikki05, 11 June 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Prongs as in clips which secure them to the monitor and the PC?

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Prongs as in clips which secure them to the monitor and the PC?

I'm sorry. In the booklet, they call them pins. The little tiny things inside the cord that connects the plug into the monitor and into the computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could you post the make and model of the monitor

Have you got another lead you can try

Video card errors and temperatures are about the two most likely causes of impromptu restarting, as yours is coupled with no VGA Signal, most probably the connecting of the monitor

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Could you post the make and model of the monitor

Have you got another lead you can try

Video card errors and temperatures are about the two most likely causes of impromptu restarting, as yours is coupled with no VGA Signal, most probably the connecting of the monitor

It's the Acer, aL2002W, 20 " widescreen monitor. I've been told that I just needed to restore the computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No VGA Signal is more likely the connection between the PC and the monitor

nikki05

nikki05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

No VGA Signal is more likely the connection between the PC and the monitor

That's what I was thinking. Thank you. Do you think it's because of the missing pins inside the plugs? We were thinking about just taking that cord back up to the store and getting it replaced.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's what I would do