Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: c0000218

• Please log in to reply

Don B

Don B

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys, im aving the problem where i cannot boot my laptop, it keeps on giving me the option to start up in safe mode, normal mode etc but when i select any of the options i get the windows logo and then a blue screen with the error: Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SAM or its log or alternate

I have done some research and have found the following guide by microsoft which should help me fix the issue

http://support.micro.....Ben-us;307545

I have followed the guide but am not getting much luck, im in recovery console and am at the part where i have to type:
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak

Problem being is that it wont let me copy the file "sam", just comes back with cannot copy sam

Really stuck what to do next, cant afford to format my hard drive

Help

*I just Tried the repair function on the xp cd with no luck,it gets all the way thru copying the files but when it gets to the end "Saving Configuration" It then comes up with the message" Setup cannot set the required windows xp configuration information. This indicates and internal setup error" I only have the option to restart the laptop.*

Edited by Don B, 11 June 2007 - 12:29 PM.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
did your laptop come pre installed with xp? if it did that fix wont work (as you know by now). so..you do have the factory recovery cd, or a retail version of xp since you can get into the recovery console correct? if so i think running the chkdsk command first is the way to go here. once your in the recovery console type chkdsk /r it might take awhile and you might have to run that a few times. your not going to be able to do anything until that disk is repaired.

Don B

Don B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yea i have the media center install disk, i will try chkdsk /r and let you know the result