Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System will not POST

• Please log in to reply

higgies

higgies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I've been looking all over for guidance here, and can not seem to find anything right on the money to resolve my issue. Hopefully someone here may be able to guide me.

I had an older test system I'd been using. It's an Athlon XP 1700+, had a Soyo K7V Dragon+ Mobo, 256MB of DDR2 RAM, a SiS AGP graphic card (forget model), and a PCI ethernet card.

I ordered some more RAM as I was using this as a DB server. I got PC2100, which was supposed to be compatible. I installed the rAM and it didn't recognize the new RAM, only the 256MB stick that was in there originally. I removed the RAM and added them one at a time to determine the faulty stick, but as I was doing this (powering off, unplugging, and then powering on of course) I got a pop and ozone smell. After that, the system would not POST at all. It would power on, all fans come on, drives spin, and CD spins, but no BIOS or anything.

I got a new mobo, thinking I blew it somehow. I replaced all the components and still the same thing. I ordered a CPU thinking it must've been the CPU instead that blew, still the same thing.

If I pull ALL RAM out, I get the RAM missing beeps from the mobo. If I add anny RAM, including the one that I previously had in the system, it doesn't do anything but power on. I also tried removing the graphics card and ethernet card to see if it would POSt, but nothing.

Is it just RAM? I don't have any sticks laying around other than the news ones I ordered and the one that was previously in there. None of these works in any configuration.

One note, the RAM that wa sin there, that still doesn't work is DDR-266, the new RAM is PC2100. Aren't these the same thing?

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: found some similar posts and might go pick up a PSU to try. I don't want to remove the once from my main system to test. Easier and cheap enough to go get a PS.

Edited by higgies, 11 June 2007 - 02:06 PM.

Advertisements

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, it wasn't the PSU. I replaced that and same situation. I don't understand what it could possibly be outside of the RAM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Firstly, can you tell us what the manufacturer/model number of the new motherboard is please? And also the cpu? I assume that you are using the same video card, right?

When you removed the video card from the system, assuming you had at least one stick of ram installed, did you hear any beeps when you powered it on? Obviously if the new board has an integrated video card as well, then this question isn't relevant.

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The new board is an Asus Av7-266. It's an older test system. No integrated video, sam CPU model, but new chip. Athlon XP 1700+ I get no beeps unless I remove the RAM, then I get the no RAM detected beeps, even if I remove all other components (IDE, video, ethernet, etc.). I have the same behavior with either board and either CPU chip.

Thanks for the welcome!

Gusterv10

Gusterv10

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Check on the underside of the mobo, right under the socket and check for any burnt marks. There could have been a static charge. Were you using an anti-static wrist band? Was there carpet around? I know in my early days I made the mistake of working by carpet and the PSU blew. A poping sound with a weird smell obviously can't mean anything good.. Just check around for any random dark spots. The mobo might be recieving power but the socket is burnt so it won't post.

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There are no burns on this new motherboard. I replaced the one that the pop happened to. The CPU wasn't burned either. I wasn't wearing a band, but I was working on tile and grounded myself before going inside the PC.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
higgies, am I right in thinking then that if you remove the video card but leave the ram installed, you still don't hear any beeps?

Also, have you checked the following:

1. That the cpu ratio & FSB dip switches are correct? (FSB should be 133MHz, ratio should be 11x) OR that you have jumper free mode enabled (JEN jumper) & all the dip switched turned off.

2. Check that the PALO_FREQ jumpers are set correctly, depending on whether you have a Palomino core or a standard Athlon.

3. Check that the clear cmos jumper is NOT set to clear (ie NO jumper on CLRTC pins)

4. Check that the voltage jumpers are correctly set (JP1, JP2). Should be set to 2.65V

5. Check that the CPU core voltage is correctly set (VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4)

6. Also check that the cpu heatsink is correctly fitted ie. the right way round. (Don't mean to sound patronizing but it's a common mistake!)

I suggest for the time being, you leave all the drive cables disconnected from the motherboard, as well as all PCI cards & USB devices.

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Samm! Thanks for the reply. Let me address each one.

1. That the cpu ratio & FSB dip switches are correct? (FSB should be 133MHz, ratio should be 11x) OR that you have jumper free mode enabled (JEN jumper) & all the dip switched turned off.
- Got it with JEN enabled. All dips off

2. Check that the PALO_FREQ jumpers are set correctly, depending on whether you have a Palomino core or a standard Athlon.
- Palomino core chip. Jumpers set to PALO_FREQ

3. Check that the clear cmos jumper is NOT set to clear (ie NO jumper on CLRTC pins)
- I performed a CMOS clear, but the jumper is now off and the battery re-installed.

4. Check that the voltage jumpers are correctly set (JP1, JP2). Should be set to 2.65V
- I'll have to check this one.

5. Check that the CPU core voltage is correctly set (VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4)
- Again, I'll need to check this one.

6. Also check that the cpu heatsink is correctly fitted ie. the right way round. (Don't mean to sound patronizing but it's a common mistake!)
- Yup, it's seated properly.

The weird thing is that I experienced the EXACT same behavior on the previous mobo and cpu (with no changes other than the added RAM) and now I'm seeing it here on the new board and cpu. I've just never seen this kind of behavior with RAM. Usually you get POST errors, right? The only time I do is when I remove the RAM, which leads me to believe there is an issue with the identification/RAM checking process, is this logic faulty? I mean the system goes through the POST, or at least to the RAM check stage, without RAM installed.

I've been doing this a while and I am stumped. I appreciate the help guys. I wish I had some other RAM to try.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, when you check the voltages, bear in mind that the cpu core should be set to 1.75V if you have a Palomino core.

Can you confirm my first query re. the video though please?

higgies, am I right in thinking then that if you remove the video card but leave the ram installed, you still don't hear any beeps?

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That's correct. If I remove the video card and leave RAM in, I still get no beeps.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm. Curious.
Out of interest, is the motherboard(s) currently installed in a case or are you testing out of the case? If you have it out of the case, what is the board sitting on?

I know you said both sticks of ram are DDR266/PC2100 but are there any other numbers or specs on either of the modules? Also, how many chips does each module have on either side?

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's installed in the case. I don't like testing outside the case. It's got all the stands in place and all screws are in. I don't know what the original RAM is, but the new stuff is Virtium PC2100. I've got one 512MB stick and 2 256MB sticks.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, you may want to try testing the board out of the case just to eliminate the possibility of anything shorting the board out. Just make sure obviously that the board is placed on a pile of non-glossy paper (I'm sure you know all this already though).

Is there anything at all written on the original ram modules? It may be nothing more than a string of numbers & letters but I may be able to identify the specs from that.

higgies

higgies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, I'll give that a try, taking the board out of the case.

As far as the RAM goes. Here's the info from the newer sticks. BTW, it's ECC.

Virtium Technologies, Inc. 10772-1 PC2100 DDR REG 16x8 VM383L3313E-BOS 256MB
Virtium Technologies, Inc. 93148-1 PC2100 DDR REG 32x4 VM383L3310E-BOS 256MB
Virtium Technologies, Inc. 92886-2 PC2100 DDR REG 64x4 VM383L6420E-BOS 512MB

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ah. There within lies your problem, I suspect. The Asus K7V266 does NOT support ECC ram.

I can't get in to Virtium's website at the moment to confirm this but IF the REG part of the number stands for Registered (i.e buffered), then your system DEFINATELY won't support it!

Edited by Samm, 12 June 2007 - 07:06 PM.