Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open XP windows security center

• Please log in to reply

hoboghost

hoboghost

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I get the same error message as someone else who posted on these boards, but my situation seems different since I can still access the control panel. In any case, when I try to open windows secuirty center i get the error message: "An exception occurred while trying to run C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscui.cpl"

According to the event viewer Securitycenter is running.
Shortly after startup I also received an error message for java--event log reads "faulting application jusched.exe, version 6.0.0.105, faulitng module jusched.exe, version 6.0.0.105, fault address 0x00001cdb." I do not know if that is realted or not.

This all occured after I did a system restore to the earliest date I could (about a week back): I tried the system restore because #1 My main user account would not load (I "fixed" this by creating a new admin account while logged in as temp user--I applied the restore from the new admin user account). In the new admin user account the security center would not start either, but I did get a different error message, somethign about rundll32.exe "code: 0x000005 address: 0x000000004ece29b8." My antivirus program, Avira Antivir, also locked up during an update before the sys restore--after the lockup and a poweroff AntiGaurd would not start up.

I'm considering uninstalling java and antivir, and seeing if that fixes anything. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks,

John.

Oh, and after the sys restore it seems to have restored my original admin user account and logged me on successfully.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

hoboghost

hoboghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did as directed. I actually have xp media edition so it asked for CD2 during the scan. Unfortunately, DELL didn't give me this cd--so I'm trying to aquire it. But i was able to do the scan for the normal xp professional. I rebooted, and the error message "An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscui.cpl" still shows up when i try to start sercurity center.

Will try reinstalling service pack 2, as suggested in another post;
and then i'll try reinstalling anti-vir and uninstalling java since I haven't done either yet.

Suggestions still appreciated.
-JOhn

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
[post="http://www.geekstogo...&p=985017"]icon repair[/post] in your control panel when you try to click on the security icon is this when the error message appears? if so this is for you as well

hoboghost

hoboghost

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Krmooo,

Icon repair? That sounds relevant. Yes, I get the error when I click on the security center icon. I tried the link you posted but it did not return any results (404).

Edited by hoboghost, 12 June 2007 - 12:03 AM.