Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

remove fan from cpu

• Please log in to reply

monet

monet

• Pip
  • 5 posts
how do I remove an intel 033218-003 fan from the chip...I undid the arms that hold it tight, but nothing moves...I can't find any info on the web....

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

What cpu socket do you have? i.e LGA775 or socket 478 etc? If you don't know, then can you tell me what the motherboard manufacturer & model number is?

monet

monet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey! thanks for the reply :whistling:

I don't know the socket #, but it's a P4i65GV motherboard (rev 1.10) Prescott 800 Dual channel DDR 400...

if it's the chip and not the motherboard, can I just get any P4 that will fit this socket? nothing comes up but I get power...I tried booting from a CD but it didn't even get that far...so I'm guessing it's the chip or mb and not the drive...

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, firstly FYI, the socket is 478.
Supported CPU's (according to Asrock) include:
Northwood or Prescott core P4's, up to a max of 3.4GHz.
Celeron D Prescott core up to 3.2GHz
Celeron Northwood core up to 2.8GHz

Re. removing the heatsink from the cpu...
Firstly, don't do it unless you need to. Reason being is that once you have separated the heatsink from the cpu, you will need to remove all traces of thermal compound from both cpu & heatsink, then reapply fresh compound etc before reinstalling the heatsink.
However, if you have already loosened the heatsink to the point where the 'seal' between the cpu & heatsink has been broken, even if you haven't managed to completely detach the heatsink from the board, then you will probably need to renew the thermal compound anyway.

If you do need to remove the heatsink, it should be a case of simply releasing the retaining latches on either side & lifting off. Remember though that the latches clip on at both ends of the latch so make sure it is completely unhooked before removing.

Re. the systems failure to boot etc - can you tell me:
1. Was this system working previously or have you just acquired it or built it?
2. When you powered on the system, did you get any display on the screen & did you hear any beeps? If so, how many?
3. If you have no display etc, locate the 2 pin header labeled CLRCMOS0 which near the motherboards battery (bottom right corner of the board). If there is a jumper cap covering the 2 pins, remove it & try to boot again.

monet

monet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
1) was working fine (I've had it for a while)

2) nothing...the power supply is fine...the yellow light comes on on the front, but doesn't turn to green. The drive clicks once or twice, but then nothing....nothing on the screen either...

3) there wasn't a jumper on it

finally had to take the heatsink off so I found it's a P4 2.4 1M chip...

is there a way to test the mb and the chip? if it's just the chip, I can just put a new one in....if it's just the mb, I'd like to know that that is all I need to buy ...if it's both, well I suppose it's still cheaper than buying a new one...and I understand that if I put that drive in a different computer (ie different mb) it won't boot....I don't know, however, how to download the needed software for the chip and mb...if they are newly installed....don't you need the mb to be working so you can download things?

I also can't seem to find this mb in the US ....mmmm...;0

thanks so much again !

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
you might not have wanted to take the cpu out so soon. there are quite a few things you should have tried first. I'd suggest putting the cpu back in. Make sure you have thermal grease to apply between the cpu and heatsink and know how. If not let us know and we'll help you do it. but if you do have thermal grease and know how to install the cpu back in the computer then I'd try making sure all connections are secure, especially the video card and even try taking the video card (and other expansion cards) out and reseating them back in the computer. if you still get the same problem then try taking all expansion cards out except video card and try starting up then. if it works then add things back in the computer one by one to find the culprit.

Let us know any results or questions you may have.

good luck

monet

monet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey, thanks mate,

The motherboard has the video card built right in. I had added another to make it dual monitor, but I even took that one out and tried...to no avail. There aren't any other cards or things added. In taking the chip out, I noticed that the fan was caked in dust...didn't realize this house was that bad...that's one of the things that made me think it was the chip and/or mb...what are some causes of mb's going down? if the chip did overheat, would that kill the mb as well?

PS-if there is a specific thing to do to put the grease on, I would definately like your help because I was just going to make sure all the old was off and cover both the chip and hs w/the grease.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Instructions for reapplying thermal paste :

1) Make sure you have the following :
Thermal Paste - I recommended Arctic Silver 5 or similar
Isopropyl Alcohol
A clean lint free cloth (coffee filter or lens cleaning cloth are good)

2) First you need to clean both the cpu & the base of the heatsink using the isopropyl & the lint free cloth. Make sure you remove all traces of the old thermal compound. Only pick up the cpu by holding the sides - do not touch the top after you have cleaned it & do not touch the pins at any time. Do not touch the underside of the heatsink after cleaning either.

3) Insert the cpu back into the motherboard - check first that no pins are bent & make sure you insert the cpu the right way round. Lower the lever to lock into place.

4) Place a blob (the size of one uncooked grain of rice) of the thermal paste on to the top of the cpu, in the middle.

5) Lower the heatsink straight down on to the cpu. Once in place, twist the heatsink very slightly (ie clockwise & counterclockwise) a couple of times then clip the heatsink into place.

After installing the cpu etc, try the following:
1) Unplug the PSU power cables from the motherboard

2) Disconnect ALL drive cabling from the motherboard. Unplug any external devices except for the monitor & keyboard

3) Locate the jumper header CLRCMOS0 again but this time place a jumper cap over the 2 pins. (Nick one from somewhere else on the board if you need to, just remember to return it again afterwards) Leave in plave for 30 seconds, then remove the jumper.

4) Reconnect the power (20 pin ATX connector & the 4 pin ATX12V connector) & try to boot up again

5) If still no luck, then disconnect power & remove ALL ram modules. Reconnect power & boot up. Listen for beeps & let me know if you hear any. (Make sure the internal speaker is connected to the motherboard first)

What was the last thing that happened before the system stopped working?